Duty Rumours

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Nightrained, Aug 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Several times I have heard a rumour that a 1/3 of people who serve 22 years in the army won't live longer than 65 due to the type of physical training they done in the service.

Apparently, your used to short sharp sessions which work the bottom half of you're heart, so when you're out of the service, it slows down and some how you die by the time you are 65.

This I think is complete tosh. But, hey, I could be wrong.

Now, I'm sure everyone else has a bollox rumour that a lot of people may have believed, but to sit and think about it - just sounds like nonsense.
  2. YIPE when you stop breathing you die but it may be just a rumour
  3. My Great Grandfather took two wounds at Pashendale (I know this is the wrong spelling, I apologise) and saw his 100th birthday. Its probably a bollox rumour. Some student trying to be clever.
  4. I heard a duty rumour that Deepcut has a high mortality rate due to the meat they have in the pies.
  5. Thats just great.

Isn't it past your bedtime?
  6. I actually heard that Deepcut had a high mortality rate due to them having more than three rounds in their mags when on duty!
  7. Little chance of you falling into that bracket Nightrained!! I don't think your heart rate has ever got over 100 bpm. Getting around a PFT isn't going to kill you.

If you think its a tosh rumour why put it on here?
  8. It is probably more to do with the enormous amount of alcohol consumed during the military career
  9. Life is terminal!!
  10. I don't think it's scientific fact, but simply an observation by several people, that quite a few people appear to die prematurely after leaving the Army after their full 22 year or 37 year career. I don't think this is anything to do with PT / using the bottom part of their hearts, etc.

I can think of a surprising number of people who have, if not died, certainly suffered serious medical conditions.

It could just be that, after one full career full of stress and hard work, they stop suddenly, lose their routine, and effectively "relax too much".

Either that or they become civvies and therefore become weak and unmilitary...
  11. My completely unscientific observations back up Nightrained's theory: ex squaddies (and cops) don't generally tend to live long.

Personally I think it is a combination of alcohol, being physically wrecked and losing the will to live when we realise we are now 'civvies'.

Soon for the grave. :(
  12. Is life worth living once you leave the army? I'm going to kill myself straight after my dining out. :)
  13. Compo realy is good for you then.
  14. To test Nighttraineds theory it'd be necessary to have at least two samples; one of military and one of non-military.
  15. It's a well known story that coppers tend to die within two years of retiring in their early fifties. The stress lifts and their body just relaaaxes...obviously a tad too much!
    So same principle..but maybe it's just remarked upon more when someone dies without having enjoyed several years of their retirement first and is cheated of the pension they worked 22 years for...and the injustice of it is noted by all..so maybe this isn't in fact an actual trend at all.
    Work, work, work without enough rest and play isn't the way to go!