Dutch spies helped GCHQ break Argentine crypto during Falklands War

What were the alternatives to the Falklands War?

Possibly a negotiated evacuation of the island's population and helping them to resettle in the UK, or NZ etc. Wouldn't cost much for only 2000 people.
You are Jeremy Corbyn and I claim my 5 potatoes.

Like our nuclear one?
What/who would it have taken to nuke their Mainland?
Invading somewhere like the Falklands would not be enough to warrant a nuclear response.
The Argentine calculation would have excluded the nuclear option because of this.
As we know they were somewhat surprised by the fact we were prepared to schlepp down and duke it out coventionally.

A suitable deterrent would have roughly taken the form it does today.

I'd rather they peacefully negotiated my freedom.
The Falklands War was unusual in the lack of civilian casualties.
Statistically, there was a high chance those civilians could have been killed.
Three were killed, by 'friendly' fire.

Yes, I agree. There's more to Marxism.
With the Falklands War for example, an International Marxist may argue that your average working class British soldier had more in common with the average Argentinean conscript, than with the British Establishment politicians.

That the British flag is just a tool, designed to brainwash the British working classes into thinking their allegiance should lie with others who are British, even if those others (The Establishment) are shafting them.

I'm not sure you've spent much time with actual Marxists.

Whilst they may argue for some commonality and grounds for solidarity between Argentine conscripts and British Toms, that certainly wouldn't translate in to supporting the Fascist government of Argentina in a violent annexation.

There's a distinct difference between seduction and rape in politics as everywhere else.

If you've finished your refreshment and thinking of departing the establishment and someone is eyeing your table, you may feel inclined to make haste and offer it up, but if they stomp over and tell you your time's up now fcuk off, you may feel differently.
True.

And not a single FI person ever wanted Argentina involved in their affairs, so the Government was being contemptible and wrong in even considering it. Especially when Argentina was run by Fascist murderers.

I'd rather they peacefully negotiated my freedom.
The Falklands War was unusual in the lack of civilian casualties.
Statistically, there was a high chance those civilians could have been killed.
The UK Government said "get off the Islands or we'll come there and kill you".

The Argentine Government thought they were bluffing.

Peaceful negotiations would simply have allowed up of Argentine defence.

This was an unusually uncomplicated, in moral terms, conflict.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Does Argentina or her Allies own nuclear weapons?
Don't play games with me. I'm happy to discuss the subject of the Falklands War in 1982 or nuclear weapons but not if you're intent on asking bone questions. If you really do not know the answers to simple questions and you've got Google then look it up. It's bad enough having Baggy introduce the subject of Marxism so either be sensible or feck off.

TheAssassin

War Hero
Don't play games with me. I'm happy to discuss the subject of the Falklands War in 1982 or nuclear weapons but not if you're intent on asking bone questions. If you really do not know the answers to simple questions and you've got Google then look it up. It's bad enough having Baggy introduce the subject of Marxism so either be sensible or feck off.
I answered your response. At the time, we had a nuclear deterent, yet Argentina still invaded our Sovereign Territory. So, who at the time would have defended Argentina if we used our nuclear opttion?

Latest Threads