Dutch spies helped GCHQ break Argentine crypto during Falklands War

....and in fact what do you think their choice would have been had they been granted one?

If you were in favour of the British forces fighting to regain control of the Falklands, then you are arguing that remaining British is worth risking your life (or the lives of others) for.
Someone once said that those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
They did live in a country that was peaceful. Then a warlike country invaded.

You would be happy living in that warlike country.
No. Absolutely not.
I would prefer to live in a country that was peaceful. No matter what kind of government it was.

Obviously, if I was a Falkland Islands civilian, my first preference would have been for the Argentinean army not to have invaded.

But once they had invaded, I would have preferred to have stayed living under Argentinean occupation, rather than face the risk of British forces coming to "liberate" me.

No. Absolutely not.
I would prefer to live in a country that was peaceful. No matter what kind of government it was.

Obviously, if I was a Falkland Islands civilian, my first preference would have been for the Argentinean army not to have invaded.

But once they had invaded, I would have preferred to have stayed living under Argentinean occupation, rather than face the risk of British forces coming to "liberate" me.
So you *would* prefer to live under a warlike country than a peaceful one.

No. Absolutely not.

What would have been your position on living in Argentina in the same period?

No. Absolutely not.

"Liberate"?

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
Someone once said that those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
Yes. And I would completely disagree with that statement.
Maybe you would want to risk your life fighting for "freedom", but I wouldn't.
Particularly when someone else defines what "freedom" is.

I never vote. I never go on any political demonstrations. I never voice political opinions in public.
So what would I be risking my life for?

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
To be honest, and at the risk of invoking Godwin, his statement:

Marks him out as someone who would turn a blind eye to Nazism as long as HE were safe.
I absolutely would "turn a blind eye".
If I was in Nazi occupied France, during 1944, I would be keeping my head down. I would definitely not want the allies to come and liberate my country from the Germans.

I would try and avoid any contact with the Nazis or the French Resistance. I'd just try and look after myself and my family.

Choosing the stretch of water, selection of the best swim, type of ground bait to prepare the swim and hook bait choice must be carefully considered if one hopes to land any sizeable catch.

A clumsy and poor effort.

They came for the idiots, I did nothing because I am not an idiot.

Dwarf

LE
Many Falkland Islanders have done just that having lived through the fighting. You are assigning a position to them which is not supported by what they say.
Exactly. I have a friend who has lived there for a couple of decades now. The islanders have very firm views on the subject.

I don't know much about Argentina during that period.
I gather there was some kind of dictatorship.
I expect I would have just kept out of politics and tried to live my life as best I could.
Argentina then was a dictatorship waging a dirty war against her own people in the name of anti-communism. Suspicion, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or because someone was pissed off that day. Taken off the streets, interrogated, drugged, and rolled out of an aircraft over the sea, just because. I know someone whose sister was a 'disaparecida', she went out to meet her boyfriend, neither was an activist, she never came home. Some had children who were given to 'deserving' servants of the regime, it's a big thing out there.

You could have kept your head down but if they came for you, which they could with no due cause, then adios amigo. Also you would be tacitly allowing those deaths to take place by your agreement with the status quo, and thus sharing a measure of responsibility.
Argentina was lucky that we fought, they achieved a form of democracy that while corrupt is arguably better than what they had before.

Better informed?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Knows neither the value, or price, of anything. Except glue.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads