Dutch soldiers in Afghanistan suspended

Dutch soldiers in Afghanistan suspended

Published: Friday 26 September 2008 06:45 UTC
Last updated: Friday 26 September 2008 08:19 UTC
In Afghanistan, 24 Dutch Task Force Uruzgan soldiers have been temporarily suspended from active service. The Dutch Defence Ministry reports that there are tensions among the group. The trouble is said to have been occurring for several days.

The ministry says it is no longer responsible to allow the group to go on patrol. The soldiers apparently refused collectively to carry out an order. They found it insulting to be ordered to provide protection to a less well-trained unit carrying out tasks they wanted to perform themselves.

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/news/international/5981503/Dutch-soldiers-in-Afghanistan-suspended

Poor diddums.

Got a lot of time for the cloggies. Good lads.
Wonder if this is just a G1 thing or if it signifies something a bit deeper?
They have a Union which is amusing to watch in action:
Shall we do this pump exercise?
No.
Exercise is cancelled.

So much for seeing the bigger picture.....and working as a team, whether it be your own or multinationally. A disgrace if you ask me. Shoot them at dawn......or Dawns house....wherever :)

it's only fair for them to protect the "less well trained" unit isn't it?

rather than have the "less well trained" protect the better trained.

i suppose it depends on the context

This was in another thread yesterday:[hr]
hackle said:
OldSnowy said:
A Federation is one thing, and probably a good idea. What we do not need (and probably Soldiers wouldn't join anyway) is a Union on the lines of the Dutch. Things can escalate, and having a Union to back them up seems, in this case, to have led to problems. What started out as a whinge about kit (common to all Soliders the world over):

Dutch minister denies shortage of equipment for Afghan mission
BRUSSELS, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- Dutch Deputy Defense Minister Jack de Vries denied on Friday that Dutch troops in the southern Afghan province of Uruzgan are at risk due to a shortage of equipment.
The commanders of two Dutch platoons in Uruzgan have written to the union for defense personnel VBM/NOV claiming that Dutch soldiers' lives are put in danger due to inadequate equipment, such as armored vehicles and ambulances. They also complained about poor maintenance of equipment, Radio Netherlands reported.
The Dutch deputy minister said that soldiers are never deployed without the right equipment. He acknowledged that problems exist, but he stressed that buying new equipment and spare parts takes time.
It is not the first time that members of the Dutch Task Force in Uruzgan have complained about a lack of equipment. According to VBM/NOV Chairman Jean Debie, measures are urgently needed to tackle the problem.
The Netherlands has about 1,700 troops stationed in Uruzgan as part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force. The mission started in August 2006 and expires at the end of 2010.

Seems to have led to this:

Dutch soldiers in Afghanistan suspended 26 September 2008
In Afghanistan, 24 Dutch Task Force Uruzgan soldiers have been temporarily suspended from active service. The Dutch Defence Ministry reports that there are tensions among the group. The trouble is said to have been occurring for several days.
The ministry says it is no longer responsible to allow the group to go on patrol. The soldiers apparently refused collectively to carry out an order. They found it insulting to be ordered to provide protection to a less well-trained unit carrying out tasks they wanted to perform themselves.

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/news/international/5981503/Dutch-soldiers-in-Afghanistan-suspended

Oddly enough the Cloggies are being very cagey about this, and info is scarce. However, the link between the two stories is pretty clear.
In fact, there is NO link except in the very general sense that both stories concern Netherlands troops in the same brigade in Afghanistan, but not the same individuals.

I recommend caution with some of the alleged facts as reported, but it is not necessary for me to go into further detail here nor would it be appropriate on a chain of command matter in an allied force.

Crucially, there was NO Dutch military union involvement in the second story. It appears that Dutch military unions may from time to time comment on equipment matters as part of their general support to the troops "and the mission" and their case for adequate public expenditure to meet the needs of the mission. However, Dutch military unions do not "of course" (I quote from them directly) get involved in discussion of military tasks and orders.

Feel free to repeat elsewhere.

D.Y.

Squiddly said:
Great stuff. Minor language barrier problem though? :?

Also known as "It's all double dutch to me".
Assuming this isn't a Wah!, and in my defence I have been on a pub crawl tonight, a quick and dirty translated version courtesy of Google Translate. It's not exactly great but it gets the gist across.

'Reject service order is not the reason'

From our reporter Ron Meerhof
Published on September 27, 2008 07:01, updated on September 27, 2008 10:02

CAMP HOLLAND / THE HAGUE - Dutch soldiers in Uruzgan have never refused orders. Research will show that different factors have led to the non-active set of a whole platoon. Saying that soldiers on the ground and their 'supporters', consisting of family and partners in the Netherlands.

Thursday night came out that 24 soldiers from a reconnaissance unit on a non-active were made because they would have refused orders.

Initially it was reported that the protection of a less-trained unit were found below their dignity. Soldiers on the ground, however, called this version 'total nonsense'.

The Ministry of Defense showed Friday that "a platoon of the work so hampers that it is no longer operational task to it."

The reconnaissance unit was deployed in recent weeks structurally than explore for other tasks. Such frustration of the explorers, who did not know in this way would be deployed. That, according to Defense can be interpreted as a refusal of a service order.

The commander of Task Force Uruzgan, Kees Matthijssen, then that the unit has more problems. That went according to Defense at the expense of the quality of the preparations for a mission. Therefore, the peloton decided on a non-active system.

The subjects themselves silence of the military burden, but deny anonymous military camp in Holland that a service order is denied. They are very surprised by the decision of the military.

"A warrant refuse service is so counter to the essence of military personnel. Here is much more behind, "says Wim van den Burg also of the military union AFMPS / FNV, after interviews with parents and others a partner of the military. From his conversations with the constituency is a different picture. Between the military leadership and the explorers would be a difference of opinion have played "on the preparation time needed for a complex mission."

Van den Burg: "The group had no idea that something was hampered. They were just still working to assess the risks of the operation. There has never refused an order. "

State Secretary Jack de Vries of Defense says no reason for us to get the soldiers back from Uruzgan. According to him, there are also implications for the operation in general.

Eimert van Middelkoop Minister of Defense stressed that it is not sensible to speculate about the problems. He refused the word "mutiny" in the mouth and said to be hoped that the inquiry into the matter as quickly as possible is completed.

As usual, there is the Royal Military Police are involved. If, however, would have refused an injunction, is that in principle punishable under operational conditions as in Uruzgan.

De Vries stressed behind the decision to Matthijssen commander of the military and non-active system.

Van den Burg trade unionist also believes that a wise decision. He notes, however, that by the turn of the Royal Military Police Commander de facto control is lost.

BiscuitsAB said:
pull2eject said:
bet my kids could beat up your kids :lol:
Those your lads? if so bloody good drills that man. is that an LMG or a Bren?
Its a bren and an L85a1
but they aitn my kids just a pic i saw, :lol:
If they were mine they would either be on the 50CAL or the gimpy SF role :twisted:

By the way on the subject of weapons, What rifles are the 2 cloggies sporting in the main piccy?
I'm thinking they are FNC's not at all bad if so.