Dutch oven

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Whiskybreath, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In foreign parts, I quite got to like using my old dutch oven (knocked up for me in the engineering shop) as it was good for every kind of stew or curry. And you could make incredible bread with it, as shown by Ray Mears the other day on the box, which kickstarted me into designing my County Down brick-built braai for use this summer, and which will have a space for my pot in it. Instead of charcoal, though, I'm thinking of using stone on top and gas underneath. Anyone done anything like this?

2. Ray Mears?

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I always thought a dutch oven was doing an enourmous fart in bed, then forcing your missus' head under the covers to enjoy it

4. Both types cook well. More gas produced in the conventional design, though, and tastier results. Here's one:

[​IMG]

Apparently they're known as 'Camp Ovens' in Australia, which is only to be expected, I suppose, but I'm not going down that route.

Edit: Ray Mears didn't put all those pounds on rubbing two bloody sticks together and eating the resultant charred lizard. He uses one of these to produce industrial-strength-and-size PiliPili Cowleg. Lovely.

5. Whiskybreath don't forget the braai bread!

500g self raising flower
    340ml castle
    salt pinch of
    can of sweetcorn (optional)

On the side of the fire or in oven on 180 for an hour

6. fugly - I've always thought the same!, what a suprise it was when a WRAC first enlightened me to the technique! (what she lacked in presentation she more than made up for in content - dirty cow!).

7. Not a Dutch oven, but maybe relevant. I vaguely recall there is a danger of some rock/stones splitting with explosive force if heated to too high a temperature. That might be total b*lls though. In any event, I went to a barby in Italy, where the host used a slab of volcanic rock from Vesuvius as the barby top. He commented that it was the only rock local people would use for grills. There are some volcanic rocks in NI, but don't know if they are lava. Hope that helps, and I'd be interested to hear how your construction works.

8. Lots of basement basalt in Northern Ireland! As I have a flat top to the pot, I think the way to do it would be a couple of semi-circular slabs, c.1" thick, to be heated on the grill first.

(That's the bread, Bob! Just as served at Mama Mia's!)