Dutch may lose their tanks.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PE4rocks, Mar 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Source: Radio Netherlands

Yes, I realise it's a press article but still...

Luckily, there in no unrest on European borders and someone else is bound to have some if needed. Not us obviously, but someone.
  2. Serious question.

Having sat out WWI and being relegated to an early bath in WWII, have the cloggies ever indulged in tanky warfare?
  3. Having already bought half of them (80+ IIRC) I wonder if they'll make us (Canada) a deal on the other half. Naah I can't see our Government actually wanting to have enough tanks to equip all of 3 our armoured regiments, they like sharing. :)
  4. Is it?

5. That map is not right. we were pink in them days.
  6. Twill all end in tears

7. Or red?
  8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That map is wrong, we didn't have possessions in the Levant and Mesopotamia in 1900, we swiped those after 1919.

9. Thats the Empire in the 1930s - with Palestine, Tanganyika and the other post WW1 mandates.

Do they do a poster size.....?

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

It looks the same shape to me.
  11. Ah the Empire on which the Sun never set.

Gone, thank Buddha.
  12. They used them in Java against a small boy who had waved a sharpened stick about, even there an air strike was thought necessary to soften the target up first.
  13. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don’t think anyone is going to like this BUT….

Warfare is changing and has changed. A thousand years ago a ratbag bunch arrived and “settled” – doing a bit of stealing and raping, flagrantly disobeying local rules and conventions, enforcing their own cultural ideas and standards.

Then things got organised. We wore uniforms, had rules. Then people realised that if you didn’t play by those rules, you could still use the ratbag bunch invasion methodology, and the rules prevented anyone from stopping you.

So we are back to ratbag bunch arriving and settling – doing a bit of stealing and raping, flagrantly disobeying local rules and conventions, enforcing their own cultural ideas and standards.

Sadly that is modern warfare – and a tank is bloody useless when faced with it..
  14. Sort of.
    There was something about the size of a squadron of Armoured tin cans knocking about in Europe in the second half of WWII. We gave them some spare bits and pieces.
    I think they may have used something tank like against the Japanese in the first part of the war.
  15. One x FT17 (renault light tank) and some M39 armoured cars in 1940: YouTube - Nederlandse Pantserwagens 1940

Netherlands' History - World War II Vehicles, Tanks, and Airplanes
    There were some Dutch troops that fought as mech infantry, Princess Irene Brigade and obviously there would be some who had experience fighting as part of the Waffen SS panzergrenadiers against the Soviets. Since then ..............