Dutch looking to recruit South Africans to fill shortfall

foxs_marine

War Hero
I saw this on a page for my father in law's old unit. It seems the Dutch are short of 3,500 to 4,000 troops a year.
Dutch law precludes recruitment from Europe as Dutch soldiers need to be, well, Dutch. Hence the approach to countries with historic Dutch links.

Makes sense.
Lots of Afrikaans speakers who are white and coloured - better opportunity in CloggieLand than in the SANDF, which is very black these days.

exspy

LE
I wonder if that will only include Afrikaans or will English, mixed-Race*, Asian, Shona and Zulu be able to enlist?

I also don't see Indonesian nationals being offered the same opportunity.

On the other hand, as Manhattan was once New Amsterdam, will Americans from there be able to join? What about New Zealand?

Cheers,
Dan.

Edit: *Coloured, I meant Coloured. Thanks @CaptainRidiculous.

Karamoja

Old-Salt
I saw this on a page for my father in law's old unit. It seems the Dutch are short of 3,500 to 4,000 troops a year.
Dutch law precludes recruitment from Europe as Dutch soldiers need to be, well, Dutch. Hence the approach to countries with historic Dutch links.
Blankes or Swartes ?

I've heard there are plenty wanting to leave SA, who are unable to get British/Dutch passports, so this is probably a win-win situation.

I've heard there are plenty wanting to leave SA, who are unable to get British/Dutch passports, so this is probably a win-win situation.
Britain has tightened up the rules considerably, so 'going Dutch' could be a good option for young folk.
The situation in RSA ain't getting any easier if you are pale and/or unconnected.

I thought SA had some law precluding citizens from joining a foreign Army?
You think they will actually enforce it, and do you think the servicemen will ever come back from Holland?

I thought SA had some law precluding citizens from joining a foreign Army?
A bit of a grey area.
British Army recruits a few, under some Commonwealth regs.
Lots in the FFR as well.
And plenty of dual nationals in EU armies.
The Act was brought in to curb mercenary activity, but was (as is most railroaded law) badly written, and could be seen as making joining up elsewhere a crime.
However, I cannot recall any specific cases being brought.

****'em, or however that translates into Afrikaans.

Britain has tightened up the rules considerably, so 'going Dutch' could be a good option for young folk.
The situation in RSA ain't getting any easier if you are pale and/or unconnected.

My other half is a saffer. so I've heard a bit about the situation out there, from her. Apparently lots of her friends have crash bags packed in case they have to make off at short notice (as in, immigrate!); others desperately trying to leave but can't get visas. Last Christmas her dad showed me the video of the goat getting slaughtered on the beach (a symbolic white settler), which sort of brought home how volatile the situation is out there.

Last Christmas her dad showed me the video of the goat getting slaughtered on the beach (a symbolic white settler), which sort of brought home how volatile the situation is out there.
Yep.
Killed by a chap called Andile - leader of the Anti-white Black Lives First party.
Who have 'form' for being cnuts.

Poppycock

Swinger
I wonder if any SADF 32 Battalion vets who aren't with Blackwater or their ilk still have any fight left in them?

Disbanded in 1993 (after an awkward massacre of civilians in a public park), the unit was nicknamed "The Terrible ones", not because they were piss poor at their jobs though - I think the nickname was given to them by their enemies on account of them being murderous fooks

Edited to add: I met a couple of their ilk in Colombia a while back, their stay in the country (c.1996-2006) corresponding with both the rise of the right-wing paramilitary death squads (AUC) and the AUC's theoretic disarmament in 2006. The AUC I saw in 2006 appeared to have disarmed, but they certainly hadn't disbanded and the death squad antics continue to this day - 3-indiginous leaders were assassinated in Colombia on Thursday, bringing the total to 234 in the last 13mths alone

Last edited:

Latest Threads