Dutch Goretex Jacket

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by uavgunner, Feb 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all
    Worked with the dutch army on TES in 2008 and noticed that there gortex jackets seem to be more like a gortex lined smock and they wore them at all times on the exercise.Im thinking of buying one but I have one question that hopefully you guys can answer.The dutch lads spent most of the ex mounted in there wagons and didnt do much dismounted work so im wondering what these jackets would be like for patroling/tabbing :?

many thanks

2. If it's DPM don't bother. When you get your new kit you won't be able to use it will you?

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Agree with legs. Everyone (that is allowed to) is getting a licence now to make up issue stuff in the dazzling new design. Remember as MTP is only going to be authorised for in service kit, nothing you buy from a civilian seller will match up.

Issue kit is good enough. Wait and get it for free.

4. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

That said, MTP will not be on general issue for a while. Plenty of guys in the Bn have got these and seem happy with them as a cold weather smock.

5. I have not got one but i know pepole who have and say there the nuts

6. Thanks guys ive seen a few online and there fairly cheap at grade 1 about 50 pounds.Im aware that MTP is on its way 2011/2012 but since my smock is on its last legs and im not keen on the issued ones ill think ill grab a dutch smock to last me until MTP.

anybody aware of any stockists in the uk.Dragon supplies is the only one ive seen

cheers

7. Two of my lads bought these, second hand reconditioned from John Bull (I think) and the pair of them can't praise them enough.

8. Arktis makes a goretex-lined DPM smock too, a mate had one, but was meant to be bloody pricey. Looked to be good for when static or seriously Baltic but I'd have thought it'd get pretty overheated when tabbing and the like - I've not had one however so who knows, it might be just the job.

9. I have one and I must say it's great for faul weather. We get them issued with a matching hairy bear liner for winter use.
    The matching gore tex raintrousers are a winner too!
    I really like the smock although I never use the hood as it takes away a lot of "awareness".
    That said,when I'm sure I will operate in dry conditions I always opt for our issued Para style parka.

Edited to add piccie.

Me(left) wearing the smock and Kaye wearing the Para style parka.

[​IMG]

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Wildcard.rgbw reckons he has loads.

Not sure of his speed of delivery though, you could always ask other posters that have dealt with him.

11. That looks to be some good kit. Are there any online Dutch kitshops where you can take a gander at this sort of stuff?

The only pity is, as others have said, it will become unacceptable when we get MTP... but, I don't see that happening for a few years.

12. Don't be fooled by Cloggies pic...that's in his back garden, he likes dressing up!

13. All being well (and I see no reason why it shouldn't be) the new kit will start to be issued from Apr 2011 based on a 4 year roll out plan. The Ops kit will include an "MVP" (non-generic name for goretex type products) lined jacket. As has been said, its geat for stagging on or range work. You'll quickly roast when you start tabbing though.

14. Cheers for the heads up... I was just thinking, as a territorial, we might be in DPM for a while longer than most.

Is this MVP ops jacket a lined cotton jacket like the NL/Arktis ones then, instead of a separate layer of waterproofs like we have now? I seem to remember Kitmonster talking of something similar for PECOC, a second field jacket for winter only.