Dutch drug dealers

Listening to Ken Livingstone on LBC 97.3 this morning he dropped in a comment about the Dutch (who were neutral) prolonging WW1 and making an absolute fortune by supplying cocaine to all of the participating armies!

[h=1]HOLLAND WAS THE WORLD'S BIGGEST COKE MANUFACTURER[/h]
It seems there is some factual basis behind the allegation, the dirty dogs! Staying neutral and supplying both sides with anything they require does seem to be a much safer and more profitable way to go. Perhaps we should adopt this policy in the future?

View attachment 124399

C

cloudbuster

Well, the protagonists weren't going to be buying tulips, were they. Free market economies, eh? Sheesh.

Listening to Ken Livingstone on LBC 97.3 this morning he dropped in a comment about the Dutch (who were neutral) prolonging WW1 and making an absolute fortune by supplying cocaine to all of the participating armies!
They also supplied the Kaiser's army with the cement required for their concrete fortifications on the Western Front. Came back to haunt 'em a bit in the second lot.

This is really new to me, but I have to say good on 'em ! You can't beat the Dutch art of marketing. If there's a demand for something, we'll supply it ! :-D

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs

[h=1]HOLLAND WAS THE WORLD'S BIGGEST COKE MANUFACTURER[/h]
It seems there is some factual basis behind the allegation, the dirty dogs! Staying neutral and supplying both sides with anything they require does seem to be a much safer and more profitable way to go. Perhaps we should adopt this policy in the future?

View attachment 124399
Oh my... that's a big bottle of marching powder.

I've only ever see it in little bags before.

I's worth pointing out that cocaine was readily available over the counter from most chemists and contained in all kinds of things. It's why patients became addicted. It was only made illegal IIRC around 1921 in the UK. Also although its not spoken of much these days one of the most prized possessions of German soldiers were opium cigarettes. Given our propensity to force opium on others during the Opium wars I ain't getting too outraged.

That's another point, that flower market, the black tulips are expensive. Imagine my surprise when they were dark purple.
Those dark purple things were flowers right?

................ I ain't getting too outraged.
Me neither!

I reckon when the next one kicks off we should just flog loads of stuff to the opposing teams and not get ourselves maimed or killed for a change. That tactic has worked well for the Swiss as well. ^_^

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I's worth pointing out that cocaine was readily available over the counter from most chemists and contained in all kinds of things. It's why patients became addicted. It was only made illegal IIRC around 1921 in the UK. Also although its not spoken of much these days one of the most prized possessions of German soldiers were opium cigarettes. Given our propensity to force opium on others during the Opium wars I ain't getting too outraged.
you could have it included in hampers from harrods and fortnums, mind you opium was available by the quarter from corner shops like sweets and was commercially grown around halifax.

M

Mark The Convict

Different Burroughs - Burroughs Wellcome was in business in UK til 1999, merged with Glaxco and is now part of GlaxcoSmithKline
Er yes I daresay, 'twas a play on words, a frightfully frightfully erudite literary allusion and a frankly pathetic attempt to make myself seem far cleverer than I really am.

C

cloudbuster

You did your best. Perhaps you need to concentrate on being a little less obtuse with your offerings?

M

Mark The Convict

But I put in a link and everything! Burroughs isn't obtuse, he's a towering giant of the 'gibbering addict' genre, like Bukowski.