Dutch CDSs son is KIA

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by box-of-frogs, Apr 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not unless the Dutch Army's mental, they couldn't turn round to the relatives of those who've already fallen and say 'Well, it was alright for your kid to die, but we can't have General's sons dying' unless they wanted a revolt on their hand...

2. Doubt it will, too late now isnt it, if anything he should say something positive and get more support.

3. Totally agree, but you never know with these (best austin powers voice) 'crayzy dutch barsturds'. Maybe he'll be able to put some more pressure on his and other governments to do more?

4. Well it could never happen to any of our politicians...Dunno about our Generals though.

5. I hope so, if I was the boss I'd send more bangy stuff and more mental cloggies purely out of revenge. That said, reading the first line of your post it sounds as though the CDS organised it.

6. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

To answer your question: No, it will not.

Dutch CDS is a parent as much as many of the Dutch servicemen and women that are deployed and will no doubt be going through the same agonies as any parent who has outlived their children.

Is it likely that he is proud of his son? I am pretty sure that he is.

As a professional soldier, does he die a little bit more when a soldier under his command dies on operations? Probably the same as every other CDS worth their salt in the world. But does that mean that they will give up on the job. I would say an empathic no.

Both father and son knew the risks and have accepted for their roles. It is unfortunate that Lt van Uhm becomes another statistic to this conflict, whilst their families go through the emotional agony and people here empathise and remember them.

There are several sons and daughters of serving Generals (and equivalents) in HM Armed Forces and they take the same risks.

But I pick up your point about politicians and their children. That being said, I do know of a still serving member who is the brother of a politician.

8. People bang on about this-we are (or at least were the last time I looked) a volounteer Army/RN/RAF. If a politician's son doesn't want to join then what is the big deal. My old MP's son was an Army officer, presumably because he wanted to be. If Blair, Cameron or whoever Junior want to join up fine. If not then let them be something else.

9. Quite so. And let's not forget a certain member of the Royal Family who spent a few months out there too. Serve to Lead and all that.

10. I believe a current Tory MP's son was serving say, 1-2 years ago; can't remember who though, but it was definitely a news item

11. Does anyone know where we can/ or if we can send messages of condolence?

12. Sad news.

But refreshing to see him not standing in the way of his son going in to harms way. You can't see the back of the queue for the Labour Partys sons and daughters doing the same... They just send other peoples families.

13. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Poor sod (and I'm meaning the Father here).

My thoughts are as Mysteron's.

My condolences to the family

To the son - RIP.

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

RIP. Condolences to you and your family, Sir.