Dutch Anti-Islam MP Geert Wilders Goes on Trial

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by JoeCivvie, Oct 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think this ifs going to be very interesting. Is he only saying what a lot of people think?

2. When Mr Wilders and his lawyer talk is it classed as Double Dutch................boom, boom I'm off

Attached Files:

3. Wow. Death of freedom of speech.

I understand the hate mongering is not a good thing however we can't be told to be tolerant of intolerant religious folk but be intolerant of anyone that speaks against them.

Catch 22 here in my opinion.
  4. He'll be the First Political Prisoner put on a Show Trial of the new Marxist-Leninist State of EUSSR Land..... the Kommie Kommizzars in Brussells will make sure he is made an example of... and a warning to all those who... "Do Not Love the EU!"... but I jest... really!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'd always dismissed him as a bit of a BNP type attention whore but I was wrong. His party won the seat where I live just outside of Amsterdam. Its what you'd call a new town and populated by generally middle class types on good incomes and intelligent. There seems to be a sea change of politics away from the left more to the centre and right wing.

Immigration has been a growing issue here in Holland, but I was surprised by the big rise in his party's vote at the last election. The Dutch tend to be a bit like a wet lettuce when it comes to making a point forcefully which is why this turn around caught me off guard.

I'm an immigrant here so I had better hide :)
  6. Ord_sgt, there was some protests in amsterdam when I was last there over immigration. Can't remember the details.
  7. Don't look for justice here, look for political expediency and 'arch-liberal' stupidity!
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Yeah, theres been a few low key protests in recent years but nothing huge. The Dutch are quite a forthright bunch, its a bit disconcerting until you get used to them, but I hadn't really detected this undercurrent of unrest to be honest, I mean you hear a few people strong opinions but it wasn't something I sensed was so widespread.

Politics tended to be the path of least resistance here but Wilders has certainly thrown a spanner in those works. Interesting times ahead I think.
  9. You're right. It's events like this that fuel the far right. The BNP would say this case has come about because we regard Muslims as special. And, much as I detest what they stand for in a wider sense, I'd have to agree with them.
  10. With respect, it isn't only muslims that are protected by the law is it? It stops the same gentleman saying silly things about the jews and prevents muslims and jews from reacting by calling for the eating of christian first born children.
  11. You're absolutely right, but in reality a film about the evils of cathlocism wouldn't have landed him in court.
  12. There are some interesting articles to be found here:

Wilders on trial

And uncle_vanya is actually not far off of the mark!
  13. Yes.

14. Very much like in the UK, Christians are fine to have a pop at, But say anything against Muslims and you instantly become this century's buzz-word, Islamophobe.
  15. really - muslims haven't been done for inciting religious hatred?