Dust off the Blue Berets - Sudan

Sod it, need another gong, just need to get medically upgraded again.

Some light reading for the 300.

There might be a JSP no!

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I remember the celebrations when Southern Sudan got its independence. I was batfaced at the time, so I saw 2 identical images of skinny people jumping up and down in Juba on TV and thought that that was the last good news, ever, to come out of there.

Good to see British personnel donning the blue beret though - hope they stay safe and do some good.

I remember the celebrations when Southern Sudan got its independence. I was batfaced at the time, so I saw 2 identical images of skinny people jumping up and down in Juba on TV and thought that that was the last good news, ever, to come out of there.

Good to see British personnel donning the blue beret though - hope they stay safe and do some good.

Yes, 'Do some good'....... as in they couldn't do a lot fecking worse with the bollox ROE's they'll get.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Snippet mentions Engineers, hopefully water salination is on the can do objectives
I hope you mean de-salination? Or do you want to put salt into the water? After the bar has been built of course!

I thought this was you and BadCO with some of your Mods !

From Here: UK peacekeepers arrive in South Sudan - News stories - GOV.UK
UNMO - fabulous job if you can get it. Sit back and roll in the extra tax free dosh. I did it as a sub Lt, acting Capt and didn't earn anywhere near the same again until I was a senior Maj on higher rate flying pay.

Lots of other countries used it as an opportunity for guys who were just about to retire to top up their lump sum. By the look of that lot the UK has decided to go down the same route.

D

Deleted 20555

Wasn't the Sudan where that Gordon Pasha chap experienced a certain amount of unpleasantness with revolting natives?

Wasn't the Sudan where that Gordon Pasha chap experienced a certain amount of unpleasantness with revolting natives?
I had an RMP mate who was there for 6 months some years ago, he was running CP for the embassy. He told tales of visiting outposts and forts from the time of Gordon Pasha and had a goodly selection of snaps taken with the Box Brownie. He said that when they entered some of the remoter arguably still 'British owned' military outposts and it was quite clear that the natives had never set foot in them, ever. This was to the extent of finding still sealed crates of rifles still in their wrappers along with ammo and lots of other paraphenalia. From the pics it wasn't one of those situations where it looked like they had all had breakfast and simply vanished leaving everything behind, but it was close in a couple of locations.

Another Sapper of course. As was Kitchener who failed to relieve him. But Khartoum is in (North) Sudan so nowhere near where these lads are. Other Khartoum trivia is that it's on the junction of the Blue and White Niles and is separated by a BFO bridge from the (now) suburb of Omdurman, famous for lots of things including the origin of the 'give 'em the whole nine yards' myth. Having worked in both north and south the lads (and lasses, presumably) are in the (marginally) nicer bit. Still a few old stone RE cap badges to be seen on some of the bridges...

Ok it's time for my meds, don't want to miss 'Countdown' :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads