Durham Light Infantry history.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by thefootman, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been passed my grandfathers soldiers release book. It has his army number on and documentation that he served with the Durham light infantry in WW2. Is there any way I can find out anything more about his army career as I know very little about it. Is there any way that I can find out though any military records regarding information where he was posted and what action he was involved in?

Any help or info on where I can find out further would be appreciated.

2. the DLI records are held in the DURHAM COUNCIL RECORDS OFFICE and they have a website

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They have a very active regimental association as well!

4. My cousin is the curator of the DLI museum. PM me any details and I'll drop him an e-mail with them.

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Durham Records Office at County Hall have a microfilm copy of the War Diary of at least one battalion of DLI. You'll need to phone in advance and book a place cos the office is full of old genealogists researching even older grandparents.

You could try giving them a call.

Tel 0191 3833253

Edited for being a mong

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

And in case the OP is not local to Durham, it's worth pointing out that the DLI Museum and the records office are just a few yards apart and no distance from the city centre, so you could easily make a day of it.