Durham Light Infantry history.

I have been passed my grandfathers soldiers release book. It has his army number on and documentation that he served with the Durham light infantry in WW2. Is there any way I can find out anything more about his army career as I know very little about it. Is there any way that I can find out though any military records regarding information where he was posted and what action he was involved in?

Any help or info on where I can find out further would be appreciated.
the DLI records are held in the DURHAM COUNCIL RECORDS OFFICE and they have a website

They have a very active regimental association as well!

Book Reviewer
Durham Records Office at County Hall have a microfilm copy of the War Diary of at least one battalion of DLI. You'll need to phone in advance and book a place cos the office is full of old genealogists researching even older grandparents.

You could try giving them a call.

Tel 0191 3833253

Edited for being a mong

Book Reviewer
dundrillin said:
My cousin is the curator of the DLI museum. PM me any details and I'll drop him an e-mail with them.
And in case the OP is not local to Durham, it's worth pointing out that the DLI Museum and the records office are just a few yards apart and no distance from the city centre, so you could easily make a day of it.

Latest Threads