Dunkirk - Written & Directed By Christopher Nolan

Released next year. The cast includes Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy and....

Harry Styles???? FFS!

Dunkirk 2017

ugly

LE
According to imdb
The film tells the story of the Dunkirk evacuation, which took place at the beginning of World War II.

No it doesn't WW2 started in September 1939, Dunkirk took place early in WW2!

I wonder how they'll shoehorn a love interest and get the American navy across the Atlantic in time to save the day?

This will not end well.

Unlike the real event.

why in God's name are they bothering. Couldn't they just clean up the print of the 1958 film and re-release it?

one of the all time dusty room moments is in that film - the bit where they're kneeling on the beach praying with the padre and Bernard Lee gets strafed....

also notable for the BSM sending John Mills and his mob away from the battery in the woods because he knows they're about to get stonked and what's the point of non-gunners getting stonked with them...

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wonder if this will pretty much follow the Sir Johnny Mills version but CGI'd up & with Saving Private Ryan type battles.Kenneth Branagh playing the bloke that tells his whiny Dorris to poke it - I'm off to save Britain.

I wonder how they'll shoehorn a love interest and get the American navy across the Atlantic in time to save the day?
Oddly the second was omitted from the 1958 version - presumably because owners of local Gaumonts didn't fancy being on the wrong end of a charge by outraged members of the DVA.

The first was neatly dealt with by Richard Attenborough getting his baby stuck in a gas mask, much to the distress of his wife.

Currently reading Dunkirk, the men they left behind................Shows what a bloody awful defeat it actually was.

ugly

LE
also notable for the BSM sending John Mills and his mob away from the battery in the woods because he knows they're about to get stonked and what's the point of non-gunners getting stonked with them...
About the best bit for me, wife's Grandfather was a troop commander one the Bef then and had been in the BEF first time around! Experience told!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I expect Mel Gibson will lead the US fleet and save the Spanish heroine from the combined British and German forces that have invaded Pearl Harbour

I reckon Branagh will be a CO, Hardy will be the tough Sgt. character, Rylance will be the brave civvy boat owner and Styles will be the cheeky Pte. that sings cheery songs to keep spirits up whilst Stukas run amok, or sumat.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I think Chris Nolan generally does quite intelligent films so, unless he includes some batshit crazy sci fi element, I am quite hopeful of this...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

And here is the first trailer.....

Reading the Sebag-Montefiore Dunkirk book again (6th or 7th time). Each time I think of family members and acquaintances that went through it. I try and link events in the book and places I have visited to the utter horror of those few weeks in 1940. The story constantly draws me back as I hear the echos of voices long gone telling the young me bits of history I wish I had paid more attention to. One rifle between a 25pndr crew, the 25pnder they had recieved a month before the Nazi onslaught being shot over open sights at panzers . Nicking a loaf of bread out of the cab of a truck during a stuka attack (maybe Arras) and the driver coming back and looking all round for the loaf, even up in the sky. The sound of the unsecured side lockers banging against abandoned vehicles as they drove through the night. The crew making Len the youngest member who had dived in a latrine for cover ride outside because of the stink. The same lad carrying the sights off the spiked gun for two days only for the matelot hearding them below decks of the Destroyer that took them to Margate to chuck it overboard saying it was dead weight. Big men who all led ordinary lives afterwards. Somehow.

I'm quietly optimistic about how good this film is going to be.

Nolan puts a lot of thought into every detail in his films and therefore I'm sure that the equipment and uniforms portrayed will be as accurate as possible.

He's been compared to Stanley Kubrick and rightly so IMO.

Re Harry Stiles. I've read in various places online that he had to compete with 100's of other actors for the part. I also can't imagine Nolan would have accepted his casting if he wasn't right for the gig.

Looking forward to this

Quite looking forward to this, if it's done well, it will bring history to people who have forgotten it or worse still have not heard of it.

As regards Harry Styles, his inclusion will bring in the younger generation. May I add, I rather respect Harry, can not stand his music, but like him for his cougar hunting, there's a a lad that has worked out exactly what fame and fortune can bring you.