Dunkirk: The Men They Left Behind

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, May 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I believe 9 (Scottish) Inf Div was renumbered as 51 in 1940. Which is how the 51st came to be in North Africa.

2. Interestingly OB, this story has also recently been published in relation to Dunkirk.

Fusilier Charlie Evans ended up in Auschwitz. He was captured at Dunkirk whilst serving with 1RWF. The bulk of the battalion were either killed, wounded or captured. They were then reformed from the remnants, and went into action at Donbaik in 1943. One of Charlie's comrades who also ended up in the bag at Dunkirk was the actor Lt Desmond Llewellyn RWF.

http://www.shropshiremagazine.com/2008/05/back-from-the-brink

3. I have a book somewhere about some Highlanders (Seaforths?) who manged to evade capture and escape to Spain. It was called 'The Long Way Round', fascinating story indeed.

Edited to add title:

5. Have a book upstairs on dunkirk its in the next to read pile, but this one sounds alot better

Might have to loose some pennies for this one instead

6. My Father joined up in 36, for 3 years, (no employment in UK coalmines).
    He was a Gunner and was in BEF.
    He came back from Dunkirk and he told me on more then one occasion, that over the years he had met many who claimed to have been there, he said that after speaking to them none ever convinced him.
    john

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

The Runrig song 'The Old boys' makes reference to St Valery and in the Proterra album version they is an 'old boy' speaking, I am told by native gaelic speakers he is talking about trying to get to Dunkirk and fighting a rearguard action to St Valery.
    I believe the gentleman in question is from the Hebrides and was with the 51st Highland Division.

An interesting use of the song can be seen here:
    The Old Boys

8. This one is on my Amazon wishlist, but I read "Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man" by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore a few months ago. That was an absolutely brilliant read, and yet this sounds even better!

(Oh, and I have a vested interest in Dunkirk, as my Grandfather missed the boat at Dunkirk!)

9. Another 2 reads about the 51st HD are:

Monty's Highlanders - 51st Highland Division in the Second World War by Patrick Delaforce

St Valéry - The Impossible Odds edited by Bill Innes

10. Another good one to read here

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Article by Sean Longden in the Sunday Times pays tribute to the men of the 51st:
    Sunday Times

12. This looks to be quite interesting and I'm looking forward to reading this which is next in my book pile. I can only imagine how they felt staying behind while others were getting on the boats.

13. Chaps a relative of mine has recently tried to publish a book about his unsuccessful attempt to reach Dunkirk and his resultant capture, but no-one seems particularly interested, i am surprised at this as there is obviously a lot of interest in this period. Any advice on futher attempts at publishing?

RCGJ

14. This is an interesting concept: LULU. I've had no experience of it but it sounds a lot safer than the 'vanity publisher' route.

15. WOTMS, thanks very useful, i shall investigate.

RCGJ