Dune 2021 - fan discussion

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
You definitely have to watch it on a big screen, but I do not think they showed it in cinemas.
Thank bot you, I acede the diametric inaccuracy of your assertionalism.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You could have a lot of fun socking as a bot with dictionary gibberish to wind up the windbags. Just sayin'

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
You could have a lot of fun socking as a bot with dictionary gibberish to wind up the windbags. Just sayin'
Also fun ******* with the bot algorithms by replying with dictionary so they start repeating it as 'normal'.

I watched it last week. Really enjoyed it and did not think it as complicated or deep as mentioned elsewhere. The film felt like a proper blockbuster without the crappy Hollywood'isms and gash hollywood acting styles that ruin films.

Timothee Chalamet has been brilliant in both this and The King. Very believable, however I hope he does not get type cast as 'young chap with concerned stare'.

The thing that did hit me though was just how many other film and book writers had obviously grown up reading Dune.
Star Wars, The Matrix, Warhammer 40k, Iain M Bank's Culture. So many similarities and all the better for it.

Watching the Sardauker annointing ceremony, I could easily see a great Horus Heresy trilogy being made, if only Games Workshop would get things going.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
I watched it last week. Really enjoyed it and did not think it as complicated or deep as mentioned elsewhere. The film felt like a proper blockbuster without the crappy Hollywood'isms and gash hollywood acting styles that ruin films.

Timothee Chalamet has been brilliant in both this and The King. Very believable, however I hope he does not get type cast as 'young chap with concerned stare'.

The thing that did hit me though was just how many other film and book writers had obviously grown up reading Dune.
Star Wars, The Matrix, Warhammer 40k, Iain M Bank's Culture. So many similarities and all the better for it.

Watching the Sardauker annointing ceremony, I could easily see a great Horus Heresy trilogy being made, if only Games Workshop would get things going.
Wot, A film trilogy based on the Horus heresy books? That’s 58 books in the main storyline plus all the odds and sods, like the audio books, and that’s before you get to the actual siege of Terra - another 5 books, so far.
I can’t see the problem. Oh wait - Games Workshop.
For the avoidance of doubt, I got addicted to the blasted 40K universe many years ago and can’t let go until bloody Horus has his big showdown with the emperor!!!!

Wot, A film trilogy based on the Horus heresy books? That’s 58 books in the main storyline plus all the odds and sods, like the audio books, and that’s before you get to the actual siege of Terra - another 5 books, so far.
For the avoidance of doubt, I got addicted to the blasted 40K universe many years ago and can’t let go until bloody Horus has his big showdown with the emperor!!!!
Yeah the sheer amount of books would need some hefty cutting for a good set of films.
The first 3 were brilliant, and would make a cracking film or two. Maybe 9 films......but without George Lucas getting involved.

Yeah the sheer amount of books would need some hefty cutting for a good set of films.
The first 3 were brilliant, and would make a cracking film or two. Maybe 9 films......but without George Lucas getting involved.
My take on the 40k galaxy (and most settings, to be honest) is that you can tell perfectly good stories without going to the setting changing stuff. Think “Master and Commander” rather than recreating the battle of Trafalgar.

There was an excellent set of short animations called “Astartes” on Youtube, until GW went and killed all that, that focused on a single boarding action. I say more of that.

DAS

War Hero
My only criticism was the sound level in the cinema - just too loud. I think this Dune lays a good foundation for "Dune 2". Even Mrs DAS quite enjoyed it and she normally detests sci-fi.

My only criticism was the sound level in the cinema - just too loud. I think this Dune lays a good foundation for "Dune 2". Even Mrs DAS quite enjoyed it and she normally detests sci-fi.
Same, saw it on Sunday with my kids. Really enjoyed the film and really glad Part 2 has been given the green-light to be made.

We left with our ears ringing. With the cinema only occupied to 10% capacity, perhaps the volume could have been turned down a notch?

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
My take on the 40k galaxy (and most settings, to be honest) is that you can tell perfectly good stories without going to the setting changing stuff. Think “Master and Commander” rather than recreating the battle of Trafalgar.

There was an excellent set of short animations called “Astartes” on Youtube, until GW went and killed all that, that focused on a single boarding action. I say more of that.
If you want “master and commander” in space- Read about Honor Harrington, she even reads Patrick O’Brian.

Spoiler alert - they both lose.

And Alpharius picked the wrong side…

Watched it last week and had the following observations:

1. When Paul and Gurney are fighting on Caladan, Paul thought that Gurney was trying to kill him for real. In the latest film that never came across, partly because the narration was missing.
2. Gurney never said the line about "mood is for cows and love making"..... damn shame.
3. The introduction to the Sardaukar made them appear almost like a religious sect.
4. Even in the year 10191 they needed groundcrew for seeing off the ornithopters....

Dune (2021) - IMDb

There were some aspects of the film, such as the lighting of some scenes and the way the dialogue was sometimes obscured by the soundtrack that were momentarily distracting - but in general I loved it and will go and see it again.
It seems that both the original and the retread have faults (Kenneth McMillan and Sting making eyes at each other and nipples twisting in baby oil - NO! Francesca Annis seductress - Definitely something for the weekend. Just make sure you know when to fast forward through the homo erotic stuff.

My apology if you thought I alluded to the retread having any saving graces - it does not, it is as dull as ditch water regarding writing, casting, direction, cinematography, and editing seemed rushed, missing, as mentioned by others, the dialogue being drowned by the score. Probably the best bit of the production would have been the catering but you would have to be crew or cast to have enjoyed that.

The 2021 version gets a Eurovision "Nil Point".
The 1984 version would probably get 3 stars (or 5 Richard Gere hamsters... if that floats yer boat)

Two things I like, all on the same plate.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems that both the original and the retread have faults (Kenneth McMillan and Sting making eyes at each other and nipples twisting in baby oil - NO! Francesca Annis seductress - Definitely something for the weekend. Just make sure you know when to fast forward through the homo erotic stuff.

My apology if you thought I alluded to the retread having any saving graces - it does not, it is as dull as ditch water regarding writing, casting, direction, cinematography, and editing seemed rushed, missing, as mentioned by others, the dialogue being drowned by the score. Probably the best bit of the production would have been the catering but you would have to be crew or cast to have enjoyed that.

The 2021 version gets a Eurovision "Nil Point".
The 1984 version would probably get 3 stars (or 5 Richard Gere hamsters... if that floats yer boat)

Can't agree with you there old chum.

Still, it'd be a dull day if everyone did.

However, what I will say is that a lot of movies seem to say very little and take a very long time to say it these days.

Latest Threads