Dune 2021 - fan discussion

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
I read the books, even the Butlerian Jihad books and etc. I always saw the Dune universe as a sclerotic society, stagnant for 10,000 years, where a “Jihad” was required to break the mould and allow humanity to develop. And I saw Paul Atreides as someone who baulks at paying the price required.
In my memory Paul bottles it and it is left to his son, Duke Leto II, to set the wheels in motion with his death.
But it was a long time ago .
Inspired by this thread I rewatched the 1984 Dune yesterday- what a mess, way too much exposition …. But, epic!
And, today, thanks to this thread I went and saw the 1st part of the new Dune… in the IMAX at Waterloo.
I’m still thinking about it but I loved the Sardaukar throat singing

Am i alone here in quite liking the Sci-fi channel mini-series?

Am i alone here in quite liking the Sci-fi channel mini-series?
It's not bad but it does suffer from a lack of budget. It does mess about with a few plot points and while Irulan gets a bit more to do Thufir Hawatt is even more overlooked than in the Lynch film. Ian McNiece is a better and more believable baron than the ridiculously OOT earlier effort but pants notwithstanding Sting was a better Feyd.
The Children of Dune sequel is better in my opinion even though some of the acting is a bit ropey (possibly because English wasn't some of the casts first language). Alia is a genuinely tragic figure at the end, Stephen Berkoff chews scenery really well and James McAvoy is a sympathetic and tragic Leto II who manages to convey that he's making a horrible choice even though it's not entirely clear what it is. The Maud'dib actor is a better Preacher than he was Paul.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Am i alone here in quite liking the actress who played Alia?
No.

I am also baffled why Steven Berkhoff is even a thing. I've never seen a film where he doesn't just chew scenery. How bad that is depends on how much scenery needs chewing, but he barely ever even breaches the giddy heights of mediocre. He's not really an actor, just some bloke who scammed a way to get paid for his anger management therapy.

Last edited:
Was I alone in thinking that the Harkonnen and Sadukar were a trifle careless in using lasers around shields?

No.

I am also baffled why Steven Berkhoff is even a thing. I've never seen a film where he doesn't just chew scenery. How bad that is depends on how much scenery needs chewing, but he barely ever even breaches the giddy heights of mediocre. He's not really an actor, just some bloke who scammed a way to get paid for his anger management therapy.

Yeah, I mean it was not totally this scene.....

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Was I alone in thinking that the Harkonnen and Sadukar were a trifle careless in using lasers around shields?
Possibly not alone, but it was you and the five other guys who reread the book before the film rather than after it.

It was definitely all guys.

Possibly not alone, but it was you and the five other guys who reread the book before the film rather than after it.

I was going to say that it’s been a few years since I last read the book, but I fear that doesn’t exactly help my case.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yeah, I mean it was not totally this scene.....

What was said earlier was true - higher production values and that would be a regular on "top 10 classic character entries" lists.

I also only just realised that the first fifteen moves of that are just a yoga ashtanga.

Loved this bit.

Proper GrimDark. In the far future there is only war.
(Still talking about Sennybridge).

Horus Heresy walt.

I saw it today, I think I prefer the 1984 version as the Mum was super hot. What was her name again? Francesca Annis, that's it.

I read the book a few years ago but can't really remember much.

I think that I feel the same way as I did when Jackson did LOTR. I read the book a long time ago and i think that the film makers did a good job of condensing a mighty (and wordy) story into 2.3 hours. As an aside, I think that Jason Momoa is a capable actor who is able to function without displaying his muscles. Sly Stallone did his best work on "copland".

Horus Heresy walt.

I saw it today, I think I prefer the 1984 version as the Mum was super hot. What was her name again? Francesca Annis, that's it.

I read the book a few years ago but can't really remember much.
Strange thing, I have read the entire game of thrones series but can remember only the tv series. As for Dune 2021, it feels more Dune'y than previous efforts and I like frenchy-whateverhisnameis, as an actor, he was great as Henry V.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
ave read the entire game of thrones series but can remember only the tv series.

That might be because GRRM should have been a screenwriter / playwright, at least in another age when anyone have a shit about those roles. Great at character, very good at plotting, good turn of phrase, but cannot write prose or edit for shit. Any book you end up skim reading between the good bits because it's just so damn long and boring, is going to have poor retention.

Funnily enough, this profile also applied almost exactly to Tolkien. You can see the few bits where he worked hard to write a good paragraph or line, but it clearly did not come naturally or in volume.

I That might be because GRRM should have been a screenwriter / playwright, at least in another age when anyone have a shit about those roles. Great at character, very good at plotting, good turn of phrase, but cannot write prose or edit for shit. Any book you end up skim reading between the good bits because it's just so damn long and boring, is going to have poor retention.

Funnily enough, this profile also applied almost exactly to Tolkien. You can see the few bits where he worked hard to write a good paragraph or line, but it clearly did not come naturally or in volume.
You have a good point there, I don't like Clancy, Childs or others like that because the dialogue crowds out the narrative. Screenplays masquerading as novels.
I like storytellers and am not ashamed to admit that my favourites are Bernard Cornwell and GMF.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Not guilty.....Amazon didn't deliver it in time.

So I watched it based on memories of reading the first book in the late 1970s ;-)

In addition to the Saradaukar Chant memes, there are a number of fan-edits on Youtube.

Quite liked this one:

Last edited:

Latest Threads