Dumplings

How do you make yours?

I'm of the atora beef suet and flour mix...is there a healthy option?

Bootifull said:
How do you make yours?

I'm of the atora beef suet and flour mix...is there a healthy option?
You could try vegetarian suet, Boots, but why the fuck would you want to ??

when making them for a venison casserole i use a wee bit of redcurrant jelly and a bit less water! always the beef suet tho, ive tried the veggie stuff but wouldnt say its any healthier........its still fat!

tasha32 said:
There is also a dumpling mix you can buy, you just have to add water to it, then add to your stew to cook.
Thats cheating!
proper beef suet , SR flour , salt & pepper ..................yumm :hungry:

Veggy suet is just wrong!

Hey I didn't say I used it, just that you could buy it!! When I do make dumplings, I make it the way I was taught, atora beef suet, flour and water, also add herbs as well.

jarrod248 said:
florence said:
tasha32 said:
There is also a dumpling mix you can buy, you just have to add water to it, then add to your stew to cook.
Thats cheating!

I have used vegetarian suet though and it does work well.
Never used it myself, (not allowed to) o/m wont have it in the house.

jarrod248 said:
I can't say that I could tell the difference.
Neither could he if the truth be told, he's just anti-veggy. But its more than my lifes worth to be caught with it.
( I could hide the packet but with my luck he'd find it)

Right! Mrs RCT(V) is habitually cooking "stews" (more like a thick soup really), which would benefit from dumplings, which I love. You've all emboldened me to have a go. Is there a recipe on the back of the Atora suet packet? It will save getting flour all over the keyboard!

Out of interest, does anyone remember the rock hard dumplings they used to serve up in the school canteen?! How were they done? On trays in the oven, rather than in the stew?

RCT(V) said:
Right! Mrs RCT(V) is habitually cooking "stews" (more like a thick soup really), which would benefit from dumplings, which I love. You've all emboldened me to have a go. Is there a recipe on the back of the Atora suet packet? It will save getting flour all over the keyboard!

Out of interest, does anyone remember the rock hard dumplings they used to serve up in the school canteen?! How were they done? On trays in the oven, rather than in the stew?
It'd make a change from brews... ;)

jarrod248 said:
RCT(V) said:
Right! Mrs RCT(V) is habitually cooking "stews" (more like a thick soup really), which would benefit from dumplings, which I love. You've all emboldened me to have a go. Is there a recipe on the back of the Atora suet packet? It will save getting flour all over the keyboard . . . . .
Dead easy!
http://www.atora.co.uk/inspiration/index.htm
Thanks "jarrod". Printed off, and will be nailed to the kitchen door! Cheers :D

Excellent thread! Since being single again and having to fend fend myself, this forum has become a godsend and a change from butties. :D

Any tips on making stock from scratch, for either a beef or pork stew?

Try a beer bread dumpling.

1kg flour
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 sachet instant dry yeast
340ml lager or pale ale
340ml lukewarm water (use empty beer bottle)

Just mix it all together and knead for a few minutes then let it prove for a couple of hours while the stew simmers. Add a couple of cups of chopped parsley to the mix and knead down again then roll into balls and drop into the stew. They'll expand and rise to the surface in a couple of minutes with the lid on to help steam them.

Excellent thread! Since being single again and having to fend fend myself, this forum has become a godsend and a change from butties. :D

Any tips on making stock from scratch, for either a beef or pork stew?
You will need some beef\pork bones from the butcher.

some leeks, onions, carrots, bouquet garni of fresh herbs, I use garlic as well . Get a large saucepan or stock pot and chuck everything in to the pot. Cover with water and cook on a low hob for a few hours. Strain off using muslin, either use straight away or split into tubs and freeze.

I made some the other day. I had some lamb kidneys still with the suet around them and a bit of lamb fillet. Made a "steak" and kidney pudding using the suet from the kidneys in the pastry. Was lovely. :)

Thats cheating!

Are you talking about Doughballs now Florence? I remember being chastised by someone for calling them Dumplings.

Latest Threads