Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Watcher, Mar 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My fourteen year old son has asked for a set of dumbells for his birthday. What should I go for in terms of weight? I think its a desire to impress the girls with his biceps that's driving this request so I don't think he wants to get too serious.

2. Buy him a gym membership instead. Serious or not, he needs instruction in the basic free weight exercises, if only to ensure he does'nt injure himself.

A good gym will do far more for him than a set of DB's, and he'll thank you when his new physique makes the girls wet.:strong:
  3. Will a gym allow a 14 year old to join?
  4. It depends on the gym.
  5. Usually under adult supervision. But id buy something which you can change the weight on the dumbell, persoanlly i would'nt got about a 10kg dumbell for him, remember he is still growing, wouldnt want to **** with anything in the sense!

Lets face it they will be in his cupboard in a week or two never to be used again.
  6. There is a good chance that your lad is having some sort of instruction in fitness equipment at school - albeit more than likely only on the fringes and probably based around cardio.

I would suggest trying get him to work out what his fitness goals are before doing anything due to the fact that as someone Ape101 said, he is still going to be growing at his age. Because of this, it would be of greater benefit to him to work on non-weight exercises to help the muscle groups develop to their best potential before stacking on the weights. - From my personal experience, I can say that some of the best "strength" increases I ever made were through press-ups, sit-up and alike. I also spent a lot of time as a youngster hill-walking, cycling and kayak/canoeing. Because of just these things, I was training high-rep leg press at 300kg when I was 18 and playing competitive rugby for my college and later university.

I'm guessing that he wants them for the big biceps thing though and if it were my child, I wouldn't have too much of a problem teaching him to use light dumbells for seated arm exercises. Note that it is very easy to **** up your shoulders with certain movements even in this stable position.

Having worked in several gyms and swimming pools over the years I can tell you that some gyms may let him use their facilities under certain schemes but again, these are often limited to cardio machine.

I would also personally stay away from gyms unless lifestyle or specific needs makes them a must. In my experience, they are often not the best way to go for several reasons.
    That said, I would advocate working in one - For my duke of Edinburgh(silver I think), took and passed the national pool lifeguard qualification (their are likely age restrictions). This let me get a job at the local leisure centre which gave me free access to all the facilities as and when.
  7. Light adjustable kettlebell? Might fit the bill, you can do bicep curls and other exercises with it, and as stated, its adjustable.
  8. I was thinking along the lines of Kettlebell training too.

If he was brave enough he could even go to some kettlebell classes that run in a lot of gyms round the country. I was at a class the other week and the class was made up entirely of lycra clad wimmin... except that is for this one kid of around 13/14. At first I thought "wow he's brave being the only male here" ... but then as the class progressed and ladies started bending over and squatting I thought "clever little f*cker...has a whole room of women all to himself to perve on!" :)
  9. Thanks guys; sound advice which I'll talk through with my lad.
  10. I was dragging a 32kg k-bell around on a sled this morning (amongst other things) and it's Quite Heavy Enough! :shaking:
  11. While I still think a gym membership is the best way to go, if this is not an option, then adjustable KB's are an excellent idea. Just make sure he knows what he's doing; some Kettlebell exercises are quite technical. They also require a decent amount of space - a KB can do a lot of damage to walls, doors etc if you lose control.:strong::-D
  12. Sounds like the ideal excuse to treat yourself to a nice multi-gym, weight stack etc, with the added bonus of keeping it all in your lads room and not cluttering up the rest of the house.
  13. What Werewolf said, his mates will throw it through a door or window if he doesnt. My son uses a pull up bar in his door to his bedroom, palms facing you pull ups for biceps, other muscles with palms facing away from you. I started him with his feet on a chair to take the weight. We learnt that using the bar in an almost reverse press-up position, feet flat on a chair, chest to the bar and lower is excellent for lats.
  14. Point out to him that press-ups are free... :D