Dumb Question ?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by grimbo, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A mate is restoring an M10 tank , he is having dummy heads for the 17 pounder shells made from a plastic / resin material . Question is -
    Is it legal to buy bullets ? we have loads of spent cases for the 50 cal , could we buy some heads ? Also we need heads for the sten rounds for the crew stens in the turret .
    Another project requires 7.62 heads , once again have loads of spent cases and links .
    I have no idea where you may be able to buy bullets , or if its even poss without the right sections on an FAC .
  2. Why not steal some off the range?
  3. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

grimbo check your PM
  4. Unfortunatly not an option open to either of us .
  5. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Don't know what the current UK Law is, but a 7.62 'bullet' is some pieces of metal, not ammunition.

PM me with more info.
  6. No license required, crack on mate (provided you are not assembling dummies with live primers or powder!)

Contact Henry Krank, or the outdoorsman (click the banner ad above)
  7. Quite legal to buy bullets off FAC, unless 'designed to expand'. In which case Section 5 (Prohibited Weapon) or Section One for hunting/vermin control.

If you stick to military FMJs you will be able to buy them without an FAC. The only controlled reloading component is primers. (Sight of FAC by Dealer.)

As to where, get a copy of Gun Mart from the newsagents.
  8. If you are going to display these weapons in public heres a tip, drill 1 or 2 mm holes in the sides of each cartridge case, some time ago I had a stupid copper who had little or no knowledge give my crap about a belt of ammo I had, even though there was no propelent or primers fitted. A mate who did displays gave me this piece of info as then the cases can never be reloaded and are therefore mearly amunition shaped scrap and cannot in any way break the law
  9. Some of the deact companies sell belts of inert ammo. There are plenty of other militaria suppliers selling the things. It would save you a lot of time and hassle. Your mate can even buy inert shells & charges for his tank.

Ryton Arms

Worldwide Arms
  10. If you want 7.62 link by any chance I can supply any quantity you are likely to desire, fitted with bullets but with evidently fired primers and totally inert. PM to discuss price.
  11. Its a pain in the arrse but you could get a friendly EOD type to certificate the items as FFE for you. Have a word with your local police force explosives licencing officer too, but be prepared for him / her to be unhelpfull to the point of being obstructive. Some of the licensing officers are good and some of them (hampshire) are idiots. But if you get a decent bloke he is worth his weight in platignum. But there is nothing in UK law that prevents you from having replica or inert ordnance. Some types of ordnance, like inert andmines have to be registered though. Update the info I have given here though as I have been out of UK for several years.
  12. Thanks for all the replys , the cost of belts of .50 from most deac dealers was what prompted the question, time to load our own on cold wet winter evenings is cheaper in theory , small change in the larger scheme of things when restoring a tank - but every bit helps , same with the 7.62 belt .
    PM's to follow
    Thanks again
  13. If you have contact with somone with a CNC lathe you can make the bullet heads out of wood, very cheaply, get the specs from internet made a load for a bloke who wanted a belt of 7.92mm for a MG 08 about ten years ago
  14. If the OP takes my advice he/she will no involve the police at any time. They are not ATOs (far from it) and often only have the vaguest knowledge of the law - or make it up as they go along.

One is not required to involve them under UK law and doing so only potentially gives unneeded hassle.