Dumb answers of intelligence chief

Dumb answers of intelligence chief
Times Online
Link
He is expected to have an acute understanding of terrorist groups and their threats to American interests. But the incoming chairman of a congressional intelligence committee was yesterday struggling to explain his ignorance of al-Qaeda and Hezbollah.

Silvestre Reyes, the Democrat chosen to head the House of Representatives committee, was asked whether members of al-Qaeda came from the Sunni or the Shia branch of Islam.

“Al-Qaeda, they have both,” he answered, adding: “Predominantly probably Shi’ite.”

In fact, al-Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organisation and views Shia Muslims as heretics. The centuries-old now fuels the militias and death squads in Iraq.
Ooops!

Another own-goal for Nancy Pelosi. The missus is a big fan of hers and comes from her district. Personally, I'm wondering how many more ways she can fcuk up before the new Congress even enters session. She must be close to the record already.

It certainly looks like the Committee Staff are going to continue to have their work cut out shepherding clueless congressmen and I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for any kind of effective oversight any time soon.

Scary that. Poorly briefed? But she should already "know her enemy".

Spitting Image is turning into real life and the world truly is being run by idiots.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dwarf Miscellaneous Jokes 0
T Films, Music and All Things Artsy 0
W The NAAFI Bar 6