"Dumb and Dumber: Are Americans Hostile to Knowledge?"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/14/books/14dumb.html?em&ex=1203483600&en=1d68ad601de3ed4a&ei=5087%0A

Looks as a collection of anecdotes than real stories.

2. Mate, they elected a president who cannot string a sentence together, admitted he had no curiousity about the world around him and doesn't read the papers. :roll: What do you expect?

3. While in Dallas in 1997, I got offered the suggestion (and phone number) that I contact the State Department and request weapons so scotland could fight for its independence and liberty. I had said in conversation that scotland was voting for devolution and its own parliament. That was the reply.
    In light of that, these dont look that bizarre or unusual for spams... the common folk tend to have very little knowledge of things outside their own country mainly cause its so large and homogeneous. They expect everywhere to be the same.

4. Although it is fun to laugh at the septics, would some of the people in this country do any better?

5. From the piece 8O

6. more discussion about this subject here

Personally, I think the whole world is dumbing down, so this is not just an issue with our cousins over the water...

7. along with the sneers at the proportion without passports: they don't need to go abroad for cheap booze and sunshine whilst soccer isn't popular enough for them to follow their team abroad (and get shitfaced drunk & wreak havoc when they lose).

8. canada (america light) is about the only place they would follow their teams to - ice hockey and baseball. (bizarrely when their team wins they usually wreck their home town!)
    But Schleswig is right ... the western world is dumbing down because no one is allowed to fail anymore. Radical Islam drives learning out in case anyone realizes what a bunch of medieval tw@ts they are and being on benefits in the UK is a career choice thus resulting in richard and judy being your only source of world news and views.

9. I teach Geography. I teach 15 year olds unable to name and locate the continents. I try my hardest.

"Sir, is Kenya in Australia?"

and other such wonders are all part of my daily job.

American's aren't the only thick fcuktards who couldn't give a sh*t about the outside world; East Anglia's like that too :D

10. Colonel Lang vents along similar lines in America the Illiterate
    I would regard supreme confidence assured by prideful ignorance as one of the great English traits that remains in America.

11. Try the Forest of Dean sometime. Proof, as if it were needed, why cousins should not be allowed to marry. Overheard in pub:

FoD Fcuktard: "So whereabouts is Lisbon then?"

FoD Genius: "Portugal. You know, that country next to, err, ohhhh, you know, whattsit called now.... oh yeah Switzerland."

12. Outside their own country? Lots of them don't even know what's going on outside their own state. US newspapers very rarely report anything going on outside the states except for the Iraq war. Pick up a copy of USA Today, supposedly one of the few "national" papers, and you'd be forgiven for thinking that the world outside the continental USA is a big fog labelled "here be dragons". Still, lovely people if very insular. Possibly amongst the most open people in the world and when restaurant staff say "have a nice day" they actually seem as if they mean it. Unless you tip under 20%, of course.

13. Subject question:

Answer: Yup. Next question.