Dull ache in my shoulders whilst running?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by the_beer_man, May 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has/does anyone else suffer from this? GP reckons tight muscles and try radox and ibuleve. Seems odd to just come on. They ache and feel heavy but shaking them off does nothing. It carries on for a few hours after exercise as well.

Tried a quick search through the runners forum but most of the dull aches point to the type of sports bra you wear, which doesn't apply to me.

TBM

2. I get this when running over a few miles, only in the one shoulder though, I put it down to the fact I broke my collar bone about 15 years ago. Oddly enough, when tabbing with weight it doesn't happen. Never looked into it though.

Edited for iPhone not auto typing tabbing.

3. I get the same thing, a couple of medical type mates said it was referred pain from your diaphragm, so in effect a stitch, but felt in a different area of the body. They mentioned a lot about nerve ending and nerve centers which I didn't exactly understand.

4. Also get this not always but when doing various physical activities got it on a long run and my PE teacher said it probably the way I run, ie swinging the arm funny; sounded unlikely

5. I don't know the answer but in reference to the diaphragm thing, it can refer pain into the shoulders hence gallstones causing pain in the right shoulder, so its feasible!

6. It's possible that you are running tensed up and not noticing it till it aches.

Try running a with your top half a bit more loose, drop your shoulders and shake your arms from the start to see if it makes any difference.

Or maybe it's time for the sportbra.

7. It sounds like you have Bad AIDS.

8. Get a taxi......it's much easier.

9. assuming you stretch arms, as well as legs, before you run?

just removing the obvious!

10. Dynamic, yes.

TBM

11. I'm running with Andy McMenemy (Sixty Six 50K Ultra Marathons in 66 Days for ABF: Soldier's Charity) at his 66th & Final Run in York on Friday.

I'll print this thread out & take it to with me & see if i can pick the brains of Sophie; Andy's Physio on the Challenge...

as already mentioned, it might be time for that Sports Bra though!

12. It is also possible that it relates to problems with your neck/back. I have arthritic narrowing of the gaps between the cervical vertibrae through which nerves come out heading for, among other places, the shoulders. This sometimes manifests itself as pain in the region of my shoulder blades.

13. I get this as well.. first times I ran 3.5 miles, tensed up squared shoulders, wrong posture, try dropping your arms to your sides and shaking them, then your hands should not rise above your belly button when running, worked for me.

14. I would advise any participant in a sport or training regime to have an annual visit to either a chiropractor or an osteopath. The skeletal frame does become misaligned as a result of physical activity and requires 're-balancing'

The process involves, following a study of your range of movement / flexibility, a degree of manipulation. On a health check, we tend to focus on heart, lungs diet training routines etc and invariably treat the symptons of such an 'injury' rather than the underlying cause. Invest some of your hard earned in either of the aforementioned and let him/her have a look at you in motion.

15. Wow good plug... But its worked, got a full health check up in august so will probably repeat that every year.