Duke of Yorks RMS

Great stuff! Didn't expect a reply so soon. He left our school about a term before closure in Easter 1982. He used to drive a cream Triumph back in the day and was well known for losing his temper plus tossing out lines ad lib. Rodney must be in his early 70's by now i would have thought and believe he may be residing in the village of Waldershare.

Let's hope we are never going to discuss its' closure. Having attended Kitchener and Clive from 77-82 having not made the grade for the invite back to VIth form (was gutted) I have remained in contact with many from my time. Yes it had its' tough times. I could list loads here that today's pupils would call bullying, but as I learnt it was an easier time than Tom Brown had in his Schooldays ;-). Thing is that times are different now, (Martin McGuiness died today, that's not lost on me as I say times are different). As the son of a serving soldier I truly believe we were conditioned through a life that many pupils may not have today, believe me it wasn't just our Dads that were able to coral their emotions into a box, many of our mums had to do the same especially in front of us children. You cannot expect that kind of life not to breed a certain kind of child. All tough, just some were tougher than others, each of us waiting for our turn at the top of the tree and what we did there was clearly reflective on how you had made the journey up the tree. If I could have my life again I would not ever wish to give up the 5 years I boarded at the school so long as went back to the time I was there, no cubicles, 20 beds to a dorm, cast iron bed frames, bed runs, pillow fights, a boot room/boxing ring, morning chores as an 11 year old - believe me that makes you appreciate your Mum a damn site more than children of today do. Yep, growing up is hard but the sooner you do it the sooner you can get on with your life.
There must be something around the years 77-86 which attracts people to this thread more than any other generation.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Your child didn't reach the standards which you were. Paying. For! Headmaster needs a kick up the backside to raise his standards methinks

Does anyone here have a photo of Rodney Pearce that they can upload please, as i'd like to verify if this is the same gent that taught History and led the DCLI army cadet force at the now defunct,Truro Cathedral school in Cornwall from 1977-1982? See my post above,as it would be great for the old-boys of our old school to view on our Facebook site as well. I'm pretty desperate gents am i'm running out of ideas on where else to locate him! Thanking you.

Although "top" is probably a bit rich, even if it was the only one...
Pffft. You're forgetting the one in Dunblane. Still MoD-run, didn't get made an "Academy"... and we appear to have had a significantly higher standard of staff members, if the stories above are accurate.

Does anyone here have a photo of Rodney Pearce that they can upload please, as i'd like to verify if this is the same gent that taught History and led the DCLI army cadet force at the now defunct,Truro Cathedral school in Cornwall from 1977-1982? See my post above,as it would be great for the old-boys of our old school to view on our Facebook site as well. I'm pretty desperate gents am i'm running out of ideas on where else to locate him! Thanking you.
From our FB site a while back these posts give a bit if detail about him

He has indeed retired and I'm in touch with him. He has a flat in a converted country house in Waldershare, Ken
I remember his Dad (WW2 pilot) used to drive around in a Rolls Royce and was also a race-horse owner

If these get close, then I have a photo of him recently pm me your email and I will send it

And yes, he looks like your photos

Last edited:

Latest Threads