Duke of York abseils down The Shard for Royal Marines charity

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Sep 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Cock.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Did he get any airmiles for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I thought he did well
  5. Some going..... I had to shut my eyes to walk onto the glass floor halfway up the CN Tower...... just couldn't step out, even knowing it was glass.
  6. Well done Sir!
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Gosh. The latest breaking news, eh chums?

As Prince Andrew "Airmiles Andy", fourth in line to the throne, dangled precariously this week on abseiling ropes from a 1,000ft drop at the top of the Shard, Britain was wholly underwhelmed. We didn't really care. Crowds of commoners did not amass on the South Bank with supportive banners, posies of flowers and hot sweet drinks to soothe his post-descent shock. Traffic-calming tactics were not necessary. No comedy video of "dangling Andy" lit up the worldwide web, like when Boris was momentarily caught on a zip-wire causing several newsrooms to down tools helpless in mirth. No #andyonarope hashtag topic trended on Twitter. There was no emoticon available to express how little we could be arsed. Andy came, Andy rappelled, Andy went home again to carry on whatever it is he bloody does. He's 53 next February and still neither he nor we are sure.

Grace Dent: Andy dangles from a rope and we all yawn. It's time to downgrade this expensive blowhard - Commentators - Opinion - The Independent
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Is that the first time he has slid down a large prick?

Thought he might have done it in training to be a chopper pilot.
  9. I didn't realise we don't like Prince Andrew.

I think he's OK.

1: He bummed Koo Stark.
    2: he's a Falklands vet.
    3: He used to wake up next to that ginger creature, you've really gotta respect him for that the poor love.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Can you confirm she did take it up the bum? This has great relevance to the next four minutes of my life.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. No, he's tainted with gwarness and there's no hope for him. Bit of a tosser as well. He'd have been better off pissing off after his service finished to some Carribean island and shagging/drinking/gambling his way into obscurity and an early gasping death by MA in some prostitute's bed.

Still, he's only 53. There's time.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Have a look. What do you think? Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
  13. [​IMG]

If the photo's correct, he didn't abseil down the Shard, he was lowered - the rope is connected to his harness by a carabiner, no sign of a descender.

Also odd that he's not on two ropes, as required for industrial abseiling.

Further odd that the article claims that he was overseen by the Royal Marines - he appears to have changed into Stellar Property Group overalls - I would have expected him to be overseen by Scheldebouw's (the cladding manufacturer and installer) abseilers as they'll have been all over the building like a rash for the last year or so.
  14. You're confusing him with Edward.
  15. * Purely by anecdote, he was not, how can one put it, exactly adored by his ground crew and merely being in the SAM gang does not automatically embody one(1) with God-like status.

(1) Apolgies if that should be "One". Irony settings applied.