Duke of Lancasters Regiment

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by barbs, Oct 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK Fellas,

More rumour, followed by more rumour.

I understand that the KINGS/QLR/KORBR amalgamation will be called the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment. Sounds quite cool and oprobably be known as 'the Dukes'; luckily enough The Duke of Wellington's Regiment is about to become the YORKS so there shouldn't be any conflict there then...

Does anyone else think this retrograde and underhand, especially since the Dukes will be losing their iconic name and someoen else wil be able to use it?

2. If rumour became fact it would be a big improvement on the version publicised on various regimental websites and in Hansard i.e. "King's, Lancashire & Border Regt."

lancslad

3. ^ I think you are onto something there, the reasoning I was given was that KLBR aka clobber is too long and cumbersome, akin to RGBW. EIther way I understand that the short title will be LANCS.

4. Heard that also - other snippets are that all privates will become "Kingsmen", regtl depot will be Fulwood and that thankfully neither the Kingos or the Korbs have made any objection to the cap badge comprising in the main the tudor rose.

lancslad

5. Full title: The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (Kings, Lancashire & Border Regiment)

Capbadge: Lancashire Rose, surrounded by KORBR laurel leaves, surmounted by Kings motto

Short title: Lancs

Kingsmen adopted as title for private soldiers

6. Thanks for the update - was wondering how the proposed cap badge was developing - seems very promising.

lancslad

7. Design for cap badge comprises the red rose of Lancaster, surmounted at the top by a queen’s crown, enclosed in a laurel wreath and surmounted at the base by a scroll with the Latin motto of the House of Hanover ‘Nec Aspera Terrent’. Design has been submitted to College of Arms for approval.

New RHQ is to be based on RHQ QLR in Preston

8. I've heard its "The Duke of Lancasters Royal Regiment", badge as discribed on red diamond and khaki beret , stable belt as current QLR, no2 dress buttons manchester regt fleur de lie, glider badge as KORBR an right arm, and lion collar badges, anybody know any different?

9. Have previously read reference to the red diamond wool backing on the King's Regt webpage (more up to date than those of the QLR or KORBR). Am slightly curious though as to whether the College of Arms will approve a red rose on a red backing - it could look a little peculiar. When's the decision expected?

lancslad

10. I've seen a representation of the new badge - I agree it sounds odd, red on red, but is quite effective because the detail of the rose is in gold and the colour of the backing and the rose is the same red. It doesn't look too bad. If I can get an ecopy I 'll upload it.

barbs

11. Well, if this is true you will be following a very prestigious regiment in having the title ' Duke of Lancaster's'. The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry was based in the NW until the early 90s until it amalgamted with various other yeomanry regts to become D Sqn (DLOY) of the Royal Mercian and Lacastrian Yeomanry.

New RHQ at Fulford Barracks .... where I joined the DLOY back in 1988. :)

For those who don't know the Duke of Lancaster is the Queen - yes, she does take the title Duke. For those in the new regiment you will need to learn a 'new' national anthem with Duke instead of Queen in the second line - God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Duke - although the QLR will probably already have this tradition being Lancashire based.

Be proud!

12. barbs,

If you are able to would be much appreciated.

lancslad

13. Done a bit of research The Kings Own have already used the title "Duke of Lancasters Own", what goes around comes around as they say.

1st Royal Lancashire Militia (The Duke of Lancaster's Own)

1760.07.18 Lancashire Militia
    formed at Lancaster 1761 Royal Lancashire Militia
    annual changes in precedence during American Revolution:
    1778.06.01: 38th
    1779.05.12: 43rd
    1780.05.06: 30th
    1781.04.28: 12th
    1782.05.07: 32nd

1793.03.02 37th, or Royal Lancashire Militia
    1798 37th, or 1st Royal Lancashire Militia
    1803.06.11 52nd, or 1st Royal Lancashire Militia
    1831 52nd, or 1st Royal Lancashire Militia (The Duke of Lancaster's Own) "NOTE DATE OF FORMATION AND USE OF TITLE 1831"
    1833.04.30 45th, or 1st Royal Lancashire Militia (The Duke of Lancaster's Own)
    1853.01.05 45th, or 1st Royal Lancashire Militia (The Duke of Lancaster's Own)
    1877.09.26 1st Battalion, 1st Royal Lancashire Militia (The Duke of Lancaster's Own)
    reorganised to form a 2nd Battalion
    1881.07.01 4th Battalion, The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
    formed double-bn with 4th Battalion
    1900.08.01 separated from 4th Battalion
    1908.07.19 transferred to Special Reserve
    1921 Special Reserve redesignated Militia
    1924 transferred to Supplementary Reserve
    1953.04.01 disbanded
    1947.01.01 5th Battalion, The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)
    reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at Lancaster
    1959.10.01 transferred to the corps of The King's Own Royal Border Regiment without change of title
    1961.05.01 4th/5th Battalion, The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)
    amalgamated with R (King's Own) Bty, 380 Light Regt RA (King's Own)
    1967.04.01 disbanded and concurrently reconstituted as:
    part of A Company (King's Own Border), Lancastrian Volunteers in TAVR II at Carlisle
    4th/5th (Territorial) Battalion The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) in TAVR III at Lancaster
    A Company (4/5 King's Own) at Lancaster, successor to 4th/5th Bn The King's Own Royal Regt
    B Company (4/5 King's Own) at Barrow, successor to 4th/5th Bn The King's Own Royal Regt
    C Company (2nd West Lancashire) at Blackpool, successor to 288 LAD Regt RA
    1969.04.01 TAVR III element reduced to cadre as 4th/5th Battalion The King's Own Royal Regiment at Lancaster, sponsored by Lancastrian Volunteers, less some personnel of C Coy absorbed into D Company (Loyals), Lancastrian Volunteers forming det at Blackpool; and some personnel of HQ, A Coy and B Coy to form E Company (King's Own), Lancastrian Volunteers at Lancaster and Barrow-in-Furness 1971.04.01 Lancs Vols redesignated as 1st Battalion, Lancastrian Volunteers
    1973.10.08 C Coy subtitle omitted
    1975.04.01 cadre disbanded, and C Coy transferred to 4th (Volunteer) Battalion, The King's Own Royal Border Regiment [q.v. for subsequent Cumbrian and Lancaster lineages]

The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry

1797-1798 independent troops raised in Lancashire:
    Liverpool Light Horse, one troop raised 23 Mar. 1797
    Manchester and Salford Light Horse, three troops raised 11 May 1797; expanded 1798 to six troops
    Bolton Light Horse Volunteers, two troops raised 5 Apr. 1798
    Ashton in Makerfield Association, one troop raised 2 May 1798
    Manchester Light Horse, one troop raised May 1798
    Loyal Blackburn Association, one troop raised 6 June 1798
    Oldham Association, one troop raised 27 June 1798
    Atherton Association, one troop raised 2 July 1798
    1802 most troops disbanded 1802-1819 independent troops re-formed:
    Liverpool Light Horse, one troop re-formed 3 Aug. 1802, second troop formed 1803; disbanded 1828?
    Bolton-le-Moor Cavalry, one troop re-formed 3 Aug. 1802 (also known as Bolton Volunteer Cavalry); disbanded 1813; re-formed 6 Jan. 1820 as Bolton Yeomanry Cavalry, second troop formed 1821; reduced to one troop 1826
    Loyal Ashton Yeomanry Cavalry, one troop re-formed 3 Aug. 1802; disbanded 28 May 1825; disbanded 28 May 1823; re-formed 31 Aug. 1848 as Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry Cavalry
    Manchester and Salford Light Horse, three troops re-formed 17 Aug. 1802, reduced 1806 to two troops; disbanded 1814?; two troops re-formed 1817; disbanded 1824
    Preston Yeomanry Cavalry, one troop raised 9 Aug. 1803; disbanded 1806?
    Oldham Yeomanry Cavalry, re-formed 1817; disbanded 1824?
    Furness Cuirassiers, one troop raised 23 Aug. 1819 (also known as Furness Yeomanry Cavalry)
    Wigan Volunteer Light Horse, one troop raised 20 Oct. 1819
    1828.08.18 Lancashire Corps of Yeomanry Cavalry
    formed by regimentation of Bolton, Furness and Wigan troops
    1834 Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry Cavalry "NOTE DATE OF FORMATION AND USE OF TITLE 1834"
    1844 troop raised at Rochdale
    1845 troop raised at Worsley 18uu HQ moved to Worsley
    1872 Furness troop disbanded; troop formed at Oldham
    1877 troop formed at Broughton (Manchester)
    1880 troop formed at Blackburn
    1883 Wigan troop disbanded 1899 troops formed at Blackpool and Liverpool
    1893.04.01 troops reorganised in squadrons
    A Squadron: Oldham and Rochdale troops
    B Squadron: Liverpool and Bolton troops
    C Squadron: Broughton and Worsley troops
    D Squadron: Blackburn and Blackpool troops
    1900 co-sponsored 23rd Coy, 8th Bn and 32nd Coy, 2nd Bn, Imperial Yeomanry 1901.04.17 Duke of Lancaster's Own Imperial Yeomanry
    reorganised in four sqns and MG sec 1908.04.01 Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry (Dragoons)
    transferred to T.F. and HQ moved to Whalley Range, Manchester
    A Squadron at Oldham (det at Rochdale)
    B Squadron at Bolton (det at Liverpool)
    C Squadron at Manchester
    D Squadron at Preston (det at Blackpool)
    1920.02.07 reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at Whalley Range, Manchester
    AC Squadron at Manchester
    B Squadron at Bolton and Rainhill
    D Squadron at Blackpool and Preston
    1940.01.15 77th (Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry) Medium Regiment, RA 1947.01.01 The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry
    reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at Wigan, and transferred to Royal Armoured Corps
    A Squadron at Wigan
    B Squadron at Bolton
    D Squadron at Preston
    1967.04.01 The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry (Royal Tank Regiment) (Territorials)
    formed in TAVR III with RHQ at Clifton, by amalgamation with 40th/41st Royal Tank Regiment
    HQ Squadron, formed from 40th/41st Royal Tank Regt
    A Squadron at Oldham
    B Squadron at Clifton, successor to Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry
    C Squadron at Bootle, successor to 40th/41st Royal Tank Regt
    1969.01.01 The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry (Royal Tank Regiment)
    reduced to cadre at Clifton, sponsored by 75 Engineer Regiment RE; less C Sqn which reroled as 238 Squadron 156 Regiment RCT; title was adopted for a while by 202 (Duke of Lancaster's) Field Squadron, 75 Engineer Regiment RE 1971.04.01 reconstituted as a Home Defence Infantry Battalion
    HQ Squadron at Chorley
    A Squadron at Wigan
    B Squadron at Clifton, Manchester
    D Squadron at Preston and Blackpool
    1972.02.29 The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry 1982 HQ moved to Chorley 1983.04.01 The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry
    converted to recce (armoured cars) and transferred to Royal Armoured Corps 198u C (Home Service Force) Squadron formed at Chorley 1992.11.01 D (Duke of Lancaster's Yeomanry) Squadron, The Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry
    at Wigan (amalgamated with The Queen’s Own Mercian Yeomanry)

14. Tis true & this way everyone is more or less happy - using the term DoL links into the county palatine & joint historical links to easily hook up the KORB's with the LANCS elements. Seems at first that the KINGOs have got the rough end of the stick but 1st bn King's realistically stays extant since its the KORBS and QLR elements that are due to merge later (from what I've read anyway..)

Ah well, all's well that ends well - look forward to seeing the new cap badge - based on previous descriptions methinks something similar to the old Lancastrian Brigade... Barbs - any sign of an ecopy

lancslad

15. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Not that anyone wants to hear my opinion, but I think that this is wonderful news. I was once wore the Kings capbadge, attended the tercentenary celebrations of the regiment many moons ago now (how many VCs will this new Regiment have to its credit, anyone done the math???). I think its fantastic that two major Lancastrian towns will now have soldiers in a 'Lancastrian' Regiment serving the Dukes into the future God willing.

Now as an afterthought can we do away with the counties of Merseyside and Greater Manchester and give the people their shire history back :wink:

(P.S. I liked Fulwood Barracks when I was there, did climbing and stuff in surrounding area as I recall.)