Duke of Edinburgh - Speculation

Which part of 'Which is a pity for the rest of us, as it could have been the source of some more memorable quotes' is demanding the DofE appear anywhere? I simply expressed the view that had he been present (as a member of the family, which he could do as a private citizen rather than in any public capacity) any encounter with either POTUS or FLOTUS could have been the source of an amusing quote or two.
And you expect public access to private conversations? Sorry you have been deprived. Incidentally, my original remark on this fascinating topic wasn't particularly aimed at you.

Last edited:
If the key word I overlooked was choose, then why did I put it in bold so you could find it easily?

Which part of 'Which is a pity for the rest of us, as it could have been the source of some more memorable quotes' is demanding the DofE appear anywhere? I simply expressed the view that had he been present (as a member of the family, which he could do as a private citizen rather than in any public capacity) any encounter with either POTUS or FLOTUS could have been the source of an amusing quote or two, as in the the one's he's provided down the years and chronicled in the link in the same post.
It was reported he had a private visit from FLOTUS, during which she apparently presented him with a personalised Air Force One flight jacket (bomber jacket type thing).
I have no doubt he thanked her very much for the thoughtful and useful gift, and that he was looking forward to a suitable occasion on which it could be worn.

Retiring from public life does not equate to becoming a recluse. My bold.

Prince Philip, who is 95, will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year, Buckingham Palace has announced. The Palace said in a statement it was the The Duke of Edinburgh's decision taken with the support of the Queen. It said: "His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen.

"Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.

Prince Philip retires: Queen's husband to step down from public life in autumn, Buckingham Palace announces
Exactly, so he can choose what he does or not. It’s nothing to do with any of us what he chooses to do or not. There’s no reason why he has to parade himself in front of anyone for anything at all.

So what if he chooses to become a recluse, he’s done his bit for the country and Monarchy PLC.