Duke Nukem Forever

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Harry_Monk, Jun 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So anyone actually played this and have any thoughts on it?

I have been looking at various reviews online and to be honest, it doesn't seem to be doing that well overall. General concensus seems to be that it is way to scripted and linear. I watched a video review of the first 45 mins and in that time there was virtually nothing to do for the first 30 apart from follow a very linear route talking with the very occasional fight!
  2. People expect too much from video games these days.

My suggestion, mate, wait a couple of months untill it goes down to 20 quid then pick it up. It'll be worth owning just for the fun of it!
  3. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Duke Nukem is not about storyline or immersion. It's all about BFO silly weapons, timeless one-liners, strippers and toilet humour. Anyone who expects more from it is obviously a sprog who never played the original.

Now if you'll excuse me, I do believe it's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...
    • Like Like x 4
  4. I agree with you both and suspect that is where the developers fell over a bit. The one liners are all in there as expected but they seem to have tried to do to much with it rather than just enhancing the tried, tested and proven Duke Nukem formula i.e. Shoot stuff, then when thats dead give the player a bigger gun and bigger baddies to shoot ... rince and repeat.
  5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

So long as I still get a jetpack and interactive urinals I'll be happy. If they can integrate the two for comedy effect I'll be ecstatic.
  6. A new Duke Nukem? Excellent
  7. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

If it had been released when they first intended (you know, around the time I was taking my GCSEs) I might have been tempted. But I'm now pushing 30, I'm not impressed by it (the 14 year wait hasn't helped). I want depth, grit, darkness and black humour. Being able to get flushing noises from a piss-stone don't hack it. Neither does what appears to be a very boring and linear shooter. Give me Mass Effect 3!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I kind of agree with you, Trans. When I first heard it was coming out I was genuinely excited about it but as time ticked on I've lost my taste for it. Saw the trailers and some gameplay videos and had a chuckle but really I just don't care anymore. It's too silly.
  9. Prepare for at least marginal disappointment then, from what I have seen so far!
  10. I read one review complaining that the structure was less sophisticated than Duke Nukem 3D. In DN3D, the level diverged after the start point and there were many different routes through to the end. DNF is in the tradition of the modern shooter ie the level is essentially one very long and pretty corridor. It's boring for the same reasons that all the COD games are.
  11. Hence why I said marginal disappointment, as yet I have not seen or heard mention of a jetpack. Urinals and the like are interactive and also serve a purpose in that they increase your Ego (health) :) I will probably get it when the prices comes down a bit, mainly for the one liners etc.
  12. For a game the took 15 years to make, its not really on par with most games out there. I think only the slightly older gamer generation from PS1, Megadrive and N64 days will really appreciate where the game comes from with regards to classic one liners and just turn every living thing into mush with silly guns. Owned most duke nukem's there has been released i think the last one i got was duke nukem forever for a platform, loved it. I think if a game isnt called call of duty these days i dont think it will appeal to most people.

Shame really, there are loads of good and underestimated games out there. Homefront is sh*t though.