Duff emoticons

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by armchair_jihad, Jan 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been away for a few days and have returned to discover that the much loved ARRSE emoticons have been replaced by utter sh!te ones, which make my beloved ARRSE Brethren look like primary school retards.

Why? and will they return?

2. Couldn't agree more....

They used to have a meaning... now they just seem to be decoration.

3. Bump

Oi! An answer please

4. bump

still waiting

5. I agree. They are useless.

Litotes

6. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Seen - yet another issue with the site upgrade. Will put on the to do list!

I don't normally both with emoticons so could someone please explain how they are different?

7. The originals were well designed, decently expressive and assisted in adding a certain, shall we say range of refined emotional nuances to conversation and opinion on ARRSE.

The ones currently being inflicted on us are seriously immature, badly drawn, emotionally illiterate and assist in reinforcing widely held public views that members of the Armed forces are poorly educated and incapable of serious thought and opinions.

Please do not dumb down ARRSE!

If its a matter of money I will gladly foot the bill.

8. Bad CO

Its nothing to do with money - I just have no idea what the 'old' ones looked like when compared to the 'new' ones. As far as I can see we haven't changed them!

Anyway I think I've reverted back to the default ones - how are they?

9. They are still the same. :shakefist:

10. BCO - I've just been involved with setting up a forum site using the latest Dragonfly software. Unfortunately, they have replaced the old style emoticons with the chav ones everyone is complaining about.

11. :yawnstretch: :cyclopsani: :frustrated: :numberone: :thumright: :brilsmurf: :pissedoff: :sentemail: :thumbdown: :highfive: :headbang: :thumleft: :threaten: :sweatdrop: :shakefist: :spiderman: :plotting: :meditate: :blowkiss: :elephant:

Those are the new ones.

The old ones were ones like this:

:confused: :neutral: :mrgreen: :biggrin: :shaking: :twisted: :tongue: :salut: :idea: :oops: :pale: :cool: :evil: :eek: :sad: :omg: :mad: :?: :!:

12. Bad CO

Maybe I'm being dense but aren't both those sets of icons available on here?

Do you actually want me to delete the 'new' ones? Can't they just peacefully co-exist?

13. BCO, all that's happened is that the order of smilies has changed - unless you click on "More smilies" (not exactly a hardship!) you can't see some of the more basic smilies.

Edit to make clear I'm not agitating for the order to be changed back as it's a minor irritation.

14. Bad CO

Ok - things are now clearer. It would appear that the next version of Dragonfly will allow us to change the order easily so hopefully this issue will soon go away!

15. Yeah BCO, it just seems that the older, better ones have been superseded by the new, chav, shi'ite ones! :)