Duelling Army Officers Burn Down Mess

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
1. My understanding of my job if attending a civvy court dealing with one of my chaps was that I was limited to stating what his recorded naval character was, not to go into a spiel about what a good egg he was. Toughers, Jack.

2. Personally I believe that any offence committed in the UK which is a breach of UK criminal law (e.g. arson) should be tried in a civil court, regardless. This gets round any nonsense about CMs being 'unfair'. Different if committed outside UK where dodgy foreign courts are best avoided.

3. Don't like AFA superseding Naval discipline Act and Jauntys and Crushers being turned into 'police'. Prefered we wen ton running the RN our way.

4. I am told by informants that there is a pic on the Ginger thread of a bare lady in an RCAF aircraft. Wonder what RCAF make of this. She des not appear to have maple leaves to cover the best bits.

Thank god. You had me worried! I'm in stewards on Saturday if you're around.
Afraid not, she does not want me to cramp her style so won't let me near the place unless it is to act as SQMS and carry out a replen or to give her a lift home.

Keep your eyes open for the FAT's contingent then on Saturday as she will be amongst them.

On the Hossifers vs Others comments OC JSPSU in the Falklands used to have traffic offences charged under civil law.
Dunno what year you were there, when I was there, the RoE for JPSU was that they always had to default to service law first if there was a relevant offence. Traffic offences including speeding on the Stanley road (if you had an unrestricted vehicle) was treated as breach of orders, same as everywhere else.

In order that Officers and Other Ranks be treated equably should the practice of finding ORs not guilty, dismissing the charges or whatever other shenanigans were/are used even though the OC/CO knows they were guilty should be stopped and the due process of the law be allowed to proceed?
When does the CO do that?

At what rank would a commissioned officer be discharged under such circumstances? Bust to 2Lt and out, or to Pte? Or not reduced at all, just forfeit commission and out?

In the back of my mind is something about you can't be bust any lower than the rank you joined at. I think graduate officers were 2Lt on probation through RMAS, so never were ORs. But that may be a) balls and b) even if true at one point, have been superseded.
It is of note that the small number of officers executed in the First Unpleasantness (three if I recall without reference to Corrigan or Holmes) were shot at their extant rank and not reduced beforehand.

Just in: Even the French appear to have problems. Now this will be a very interesting CM!
France general 'took fighter jet for weekends' - BBC News
The French air force is investigating a senior officer said to have used a fighter jet to fly for weekends away.

General Richard Reboul flew the Alpha Jet from a training base in Bordeaux in western France to his property in Provence, the Canard Enchaîné reported.

He is also said to have taken a six-seat military transport plane along with a pilot and co-pilot, the satirical newspaper said.
A Tornado sqn commander used one of Panavia's finest to flit between UK & Germany to carry on a liaison with a female who wasn't his wife. He was bubbled by the sqn's adj when she found out he was three timing her. He spent a lot of time confined to his OMQ before being moved to some dreary, career-killing slot - didn't go to CM though.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It is of note that the small number of officers executed in the First Unpleasantness (three if I recall without reference to Corrigan or Holmes) were shot at their extant rank and not reduced beforehand.
And shot because they were officers and without the mitigations applied to others as I recall.

And shot because they were officers and without the mitigations applied to others as I recall.
Who can say - each case may have been judged on its merits. It has always been the case that Officers were held to a higher standard of behaviour than ORs, that's just how it is, and I say that as an ex Soldier, NCO, SNCO, Adjutant and Sub-unit Commander, so I've seen it from all different angles.

When they have considered it in the best interest of the service, and or they have not wished to prejudice a soldiers career.
Then they are a pretty shit CO then.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
They could just use the burnt out ruins of their old officers mess as the stage for their final duel.

I'd see it as a nuanced display of wisdom and loyalty.
Yeah well I see it as exactly the sort of reason the army can't be trusted to deal with the law.

1. Not a chance, too many apopleptic VSOs - they weren't invited to the shindig, just the bonfire of the vanities!

2. Extra (duties) required = Raising several hundred thousand pounds for the criminal damage (if found guilty) or maybe, if their Mas & Pas remortgage their family homes. Indeed, their beloved sons are probably still paying off their student loans, and no one is insured against drunken stupidity, whilst an astute Mess Sec might have negotiated cover for these festivities.

3. They may well be decent officers, who knows, but they royally fcuked up, so the point is rather academic when life has been put at risk. Unfortunately their Schermuly picked on an innocent contract civvie staff member taking a call in her bedroom.

One could say a drop short was their H&S first undoing, failing to immediately evacuate the building thus exposing mess members, staff and guests to harm was the second gaff, and not calling the Dorset&Wiltshire Fire Brigade immediately their third strike. The defective fire fighting equipment is the wider noose that has probably already ensnared a few contractor scapegoats or added to the military volunteer (?QM, RQMS) list for Benbecula!
Fair enough. Cheers.