Due to do my first BATLS course

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by medic-matt, Mar 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a medical cadetship and half way through my fourth year. Ive managed to get myself on a BATLS course at Hasler in May.
    I have the BATLS 2009 manual and have just started to go through it.
    I would just like to know if any qualified doctors (or anyone else that thinks they can help- nurses, CMT etc) on here can give me advise on what I should try and get experience of (clinical skills wise) before attending the course.

Theres a lot in the manual to get through and with medical schoool work too i may not complete it before the course. I just would like a few pointers on what to concentrate on so that I will get thr most out of the course.

thanks in advance
  2. can nobody help?! many have viewed the thread yet nobody has posted a response.
    I was really hoping someone could help me out.
  3. I did it yonks ago but would recommend following the manual exactly. Sorry!

The examiners were sticklers for exact skills and didn't credit anything learnt on attachment / idiosyncracies

That said, the build up phase was enjoyable and the examiners were a good bunch who wanted to help you pass

Leave your MO/ medical student head at home and become open to the BATLS / ATLS way of doing things

Just try to stay calm in the practical exams and don't fret too much
  4. thanks, I suppose i need to get reading that manual then!
  5. You need to go through the Batls manual. The course is only a few days so you'll need a good understanding of what its about before you pitch up. Read and get used to CABC as part of your primary survey.... Good luck
  6. Commit the RISENFALL mnemonic to memmory. Alot of people struggle to get their head around this whilst being bombarded with all sorts of other info.