Dude, wheres my Battalion?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by EX_STAB, May 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had a very good weekend. Learned a bit and worked on some skills and drills. All in all, pretty good. It was a well run weekend.

Except............

There are seven companies in my Battalion.

There were around 90 blokes there.

From my location there were:

1 Officer.
    6 SNCOs
    Nil JNCOs
    5 Privates.

Things change over time but I recall that a Company is around 120 men. Therefore at full establishment my Bn should be around 840 all ranks.

We managed to muster 10% of our establishment.

Should the CO be sacked? Should the Coy Commanders be sacked? Should the Regimental Recruitment Team be sacked? Should we all be written off as a ghost Bn?

In a closing brief, we were asked by our Sunray to " phone our mates and get them to come in"

I don't see TA people outside of TA. Do you?

Isn't this what permanent staff should be doing?

Clearly we are a volunteer force and can't expect full attendance all the time but how can we expect to be taken seriously like this? How can we make a difference?

Someone needs a kick up the arrse and it isn't the junior who DID turn up and who might just happen to have the telephone number of somebody else in the unit.

2. How many of your guys are on ops, going on ops or just come off ops? On/just finished career courses?, have family/work commitments that w/e?

3. A lot of that Battalion have just come off ops.

I don't see TA people outside of TA. Do you?

Yeah I do, the one's that matter anyway.

4. 7 x Coys?? Which Bn?

5. edited for ex-stab.

6. 840 - 90 = 750 missing bods

We didn't send that many on ops and the ones who did have been back a good while now - quite a few were there. Those who know which Bn it is know, we don't need to spell it out., I doubt it's that much different in other Bns. Discuss the principle.

7. Also, those coys do not have 120 bods trained and regular attendees, more like 30-50 each.

Some of the coys are smaller.

8. I know, that isn't an excuse though is it? How do we put it right?

9. Re discover and encourage/cultivate the team spirit amongst the Plns, primarily the task of the Pln cmds, Sgt and JNCOs I'd have thought but also down to the individual...enthusiasim(?) is contagious.

10. Not great but don't be depressed - 'twas ever thus.

I remember equally low turnouts back in the late 1980s - and as a Pl Comd being told to get on the phone and tell the blokes to turn up next time. Reasons behind it may be very different this time but it's the same old story - people have something else better to do that w/e.

How hard was it "sold" - ie was this a pri w/e for the Bn, big Ex, or just relatively buckshee training? I have found the TA soldier to be VERY discerning about what's actually worth turning up to. And scheduling a Bn w/e on the same w/e as a Cup Final is probably not one of the Trg Maj's smarter moves. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Hope you'll hang in there though!

11. I don't think you can Ex-stab, a lot of damage was done with the pay fiasco, many just came off ops and saw it as a bit of an insult, not that we do it for the money, I didn't even know you got paid when I joined, but it was a slap in the face.

The recession might play some part in it, particularly for the self employed who found it easier to write off a weekends/week nights lost work when the money was rolling in.

12. I don't see TA people outside of TA. Do you?

Some locations mean good mates

Isn't this what permanent staff should be doing?

Chasing folk to turn up? permanent staff do lead a busy day, it is not all tea and biscuits

Clearly we are a volunteer force and can't expect full attendance all the time but how can we expect to be taken seriously like this? How can we make a difference?
    Tick in the box for matts passed, more importantly able to commit to ops

Someone needs a kick up the arrse and it isn't the junior who DID turn up and who might just happen to have the telephone number of somebody else in the unit.
    If you phone in to say am not playing then fair enough, throwing teddy bear in corner though is a petted lip waiting to be pinched. good man management = happy teddy bears

13. This is not new.

It comes & go's over time, I can remember years ago just 2 junior ranks in a coy turning up, I was Charlie, he was Delta, the other 2 sects were stealth.

When I joined at Lincoln in the late 80's we had about 16 turn up on Look at Life, I'm sure a big city & suburban area would struggle to get that now.

After all we are only casual labour and our real jobs that we have to hang on to are ever more demanding.

14. When i did my recruits course 50 turned up over time we were whittled down to 12 of which one broke a leg and the others passed out. Some will blame bad locations or wrong time of the year or footies on instead.

15. I'm not sure I understand your point.

It wasn't a recruit training weekend.