Dubya Presidential Library to cost...

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Rocketeer, Jan 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wait for it.. the proposed Presidential Library for Dubya is under attack by Big C conservatives and the religious right who aren't too happy it could be 'placed' at the Southern Baptist University campus...but that's not the real unbelievable part [ I mean the Bible Belters not wanting Dubya, a major bible belter himself, being embraced by ' his own .' .]

nope, the real ' scandal ' is that the proposed Dubya Library is projected to cost the most of any presidential library ever: $ 500 US millions!

Geez!!.. how can one shelf of comic books, a shopping list and his army discharge papers need more than closet space ?/ Unless they need a secure depository to stuff all the classified conspiracy, skull and bones, illuminati bilderbergian 9/11 real story documents SLurboy and his ilk insist Dubya has squirreled away...

C'mon $ 500 million for Dubya's presidential colouring book and his desk top doodle pad?? Hells bells, Bill Clinton's Intern Thong collection didn't need anywhere near that much money to be set up and Clinton's Presidential Library had a room or two for Al Gore's locker leftovers to boot.!!

Great Googely Woogely!!!
  2. Southern Methodist University. (Methodists= Baptists who can read, as I heard in a film once.)

It seems the faculty of SMU don't want it there: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006156477

Methodist ministers don't want it there either:

And the University of Dallas, on of three on the shortlist, withdrew its bid last week. (The big 2 Texas Universities, UT Austin and Texas A&M have the Johnson and Bush I Libraries respectively already.)

But, on the other hand, an alumna by the name of Laura Bush is on the Board of Trustees, as was Dick Cheney, and the area of Dallas where SMU is located is also where his biggest donors live. (And a lot of them give to SMU also.) Other notable alumnae include one Karen Hughes and one Harriet Myers.
  3. Apparently it is planned to be the largest collection of large print editions in history!
  4. $500 million for a library dedicated to someone who, in his own words, "Doesn't read books". What's next?
  5. Who knows? maybe the guy is a bit of a dark horse, and has the most phenomenol grot collection in US Presidential history- with an emphasis on ATM and Tijuana style donkey action, hence the squeamishness of the religious unis to take it.. :D If this is so, a library is the wrong place for it anyway. They should commission a Presidential garden with a single box hedge running down the middle, under which his grumble collection shall be stored in grubby shopping bags, with at least ten percent of it shredded and scattered poignantly amidst the shrubbery.
  6. Of course he needs plenty of room in a secure facility. He put most of the previous President's libraries under wraps, and his own are even more sensitive and important to our national security. His own papers might become available sometime in 2070, so be patient. I was lucky enough to receive a copy of some of his own hand written notes, however.
  7. The cost of presidential libraries is covered by private donations. So the cost is really immaterial.
  8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Except, presumably, for those seeking to perpetuate a ********* [insert own derogatory adjective].
  9. blue_,
    A certain set here is ever ready to complain when Mr. Bush wants to spend money on anything that isn't for soup kitchens and spotted owls. If he can scape up the cash from private donations, more power to him. Then we can keep some migrant workers busy constructing his library.
  10. blue-sophist

Go, buddy!

They will be legal, Green-Carded workers, of course?

What ever happens to the goddam libraries, anyway? Does anyone ever use them (apart from White House interns0?
  11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I've got an idea, why not limit the books to one's that George W can read and understand, then it should take up about this much room...

...surely a worthy addition to any University campus.[/align]
  12. They're used primarily for achival research and the more well endowed ones (insert Clinton joke here) offer up a fair amount of funding for academics to conduct research. A big problem that the SMU faculty have, as conservative as many of them are, is that the GWB presidential library is reportedly going to be funding and giving better access to people who intend to write glowing testimonies of the Shaved Chimp.

Occasionally they can be rather minor tourist attractions. Although he was a senile old fool who didn't have a clue what he was doing half the time, Reagan did leave behind a rather nice library up in Simi Valley, about an hour or so outside Los Angeles. Beautiful grounds and quite a few nik-naks for the tourists to look at, including an old VC-137 (the spotter in you obviously knows its operational callsign). However, I doubt that the presence of the George HW Bush Library at Texas A&M University does much for College Station's tourism industry.

[anorak]For me though, in terms of sheer spectacle, nothing beats the Library of Congress. [/anorak]
  13. blue-sophist

Nehu ... that's rude! How can you demean the Great Leader of the Free World in such a lavatorial manner? You should hang your head in shame ... and kiss Cheney's ARRSE while you're down there. ;-)
  14. blue_,
    I would hope the workers will all have a green card. It depends on if they will be invited as guests by Mr. Bush's Administration, as some recent statements seem to indicate.
    I don't know who has much use for these libraries, other than for providing cush jobs for folks lucky enough to land one, and the occasional Historian. The one for Mr. Reagan is more of a shrine than library. Perhaps someone felt the need to answer Lenin's Tomb, or the Taj Mahal.
  15. blue-sophist

These days I believe it's Air Farce One. Having stayed in transit accomm at Andrews, that's being charitable!