Dubious Falklands story

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by stoatman, Sep 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this on another forum, and am calling shenanigans on it. Lots of it just does not ring true (grammar, phrasing, turns of phrase). What do you lot think?

Some of what he supposedly says appears to be straight out of an Argentine propaganda book, and phrases like " I was a virgin and still had no use for shaving" seem decidedly non-British, and the crying at the sinking of the Belgrano is also highly suspect...

2. 110% bollox

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Says he was 17 at the time as well. mmmm!

4. Fiction and pretty sh1tty fiction at that.

5. Dago cnut!

6. Exactly what I thought, but I need some concrete explanations of why this is the 110% beaulokkos totales that this is, because it will be immediately defended by all the cnuttish dagos on the other site.

If anybody wants to weigh in personally for a little Queensbury rules, here is the direct link:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107892&postcount=143

7. No doubt lots of people feel regrets for actions that they have made in the past but there is something about this that stinks. This is too much like that Vietnam nonsense posted by some so-called Vet. that we had a while back
    It is all too trite in the manner in which it has been presented. It would be interesting if
    and others named could be more positively identified. Some of those names I would imagine are in the public domain.
    Until then, as sandy_boots says

8. Antelope was hit on 23 May, not 21st.

The names of the pilots are correct, although the circumstances in which the one mentioned who was KIA are confused. It's not known for certain whether he struck the mast (although one aircraft did) and the consensus seems to be that he was hit by a SAM rather than 20mm - however, Antelope claimed to have brought him down with 20mm fire.

The letter conveniently supports the Argentine claim that Guadagnini got a DH on Antelope with a bomb, but there's no proof that this was the case.

The letter also seems to imply that the ship was abandoned shortly after the attack, when it was only abandoned after the UXB aboard went off.

However, given that even 25 years on the events of exactly what happened are confusing, the evidence doesn't mean that the piece can be dismissed as a complete load of spherical objects. The author of the letter may indeed believe that the Falklands campaign was a mistake - the issue comes if this is taken as representative of all those 'down south' in 82.

The bit about the Belgrano doesn't ring true at all, though - as far as I can ascertain (including from a few matelots who were down there at the time), the sinking of the Belgrano was regarded a bit more stoically. The response seems to have been an initial reaction of 'Fantastic, that'll teach them' followed almost instantaneously by the rather grim thought along the lines of : 'The water's bl**dy cold. [pause] Poor s*ds.' Again, it may be that a couple of scared young sailors blubbed about it, but once more, that's not representative.

I've no proof, of course, but I can't help thinking that this might be a genuine letter which has been a little...er... embellished for the benefit of a wider (Argentine) readership; the grammar and phrasing is just a bit odd.

9. If it is real, it looks like something that was translated from English to Spanish, then back to English.

10. Weird he uses the phrase "I was on HMS Antelope" when it should be "I served in HMS Antelope" - you are never on a ship - you'd drown if it was a submarine. It could be the passage of time that has dulled correct phraseology, but it still stands out to me.

I've seen a previous article supposedly about a Lt that was in Conqueror meeting the CO of General Belgrano written from an Argentinian perspective, and he to supposedly though the Islands were Argentine. Funny that,

11. Dago rpopaganda, IMHO.

12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

A little bit of research might establish whether they'd have been carrying their respirators during action stations during this war - I don't recall ever reading about a supposed chemical threat from the Argies.

13. The letter from 'Keith' is an almost word perfect copy of an article that appeared in the 'Oswestry and Border Counties Advertiser' about two months ago. The author of the article is called Keith Davies. There were also photographs of him published.

Whether the article is genuine I don't know for sure, but i knew Keith in 1988 and he told me a similar story. At the time I had no reason to doubt him. I can also vouch for the fact that he used to pick fights with monotonous regularity.

Mods, i don't think I've contradicted any persec issues here because that letter has been published in the press with full name and photograph. However, please feel free to delete if necessary.

14. The letter from 'Keith' is an almost word perfect copy of an article that appeared in the 'Oswestry and Border Counties Advertiser' about two months ago. The author of the article is called Keith Davies. There were also photographs of him published.

Whether the article is genuine I don't know for sure, but i knew Keith in 1988 and he told me a similar story. At the time I had no reason to doubt him. I can also vouch for the fact that he used to pick fights with monotonous regularity.

Mods, i don't think I've contradicted any persec issues here because that letter has been published in the press with full name and photograph. However, please feel free to delete if necessary.

15. Dogfondler has it right:

http://www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/results.aspx?SearchType=Normal&PageId=1&SearchText=keith%20malvinas

though neither article makes the conrtrversial statements about UK being the baddies.

I know many ex-RN from the conflict, and although most are saddened by the loss of life caused by the sinking of the Belgrano, few wept and all realised that it was stragetically necessary. None support the notion that the UK has no claim to the islands.

IMO dago propaganda.