Dubbin

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by crabby, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh no, not another boots thread...

I was just wondering what people in the know think of using Dubbin? I take great care of my lowas, I use Granger's leather conditioner (apparently it doesn't damage the goretex) and then a very small amount of parade gloss to get them back to black.

However, a few years ago with my combat boots I used dubbin, and lots of it, when they were brand new. They were broken in like a shot and beaded water like nothing else. After a day spent in puddles my feet were drier than some of those wearing wellys.

Would dubbin work for boots with goretex liners? Would it actually be better than niqwax or grangers? Obviously after dubbin boots won't take polish that well; but I'm now a civvy (was only ever otc before) so it's not really a consideration.

2. Why would you want to use dubbin on goretex boots?

Is the goretex leaking, or do you just want to ruin the breathability of your boots?

3. It's to keep the leather supple, stop it tearing and cracking and give the goretex less work to do

4. I don't think it's a particularly good idea, but each to his own.

Here is a site that you may find of interest: http://www.dubbin.com/

5. I would say terrible idea

6. Sorry for a little hijack here Crabby but just a small question.

Currently I use Neats foot oil on my boots and it softens the leather lovely, really does a night and day difference with boots fresh from the RQ. So does Dubbin do the same job + waterproof or is it more of a waterproofing? If its just a waterproofing is it better than G-wax? Thanks.

7. No idea, that's partly what I'm trying to find out.

Dubbin I found worked a treat on combat boots; broke them in so quickly and waterproofed them so well, I've not used better.

I was concerned about their effect on goretex lined boots though, and tartan terrior seems to think that dubbin is best avoided for those. So I'll just stick with the Grangers.

8. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

If I may -

I've been informed that using dubbin on Goretex Lined boots tends to clog up the pours in the Gore thus turning them into little ovens. Albiet comfy little ovens.

On non-goretex, like my Lowas, the more the merrier! Kiwi, Dubbin, Nikwax - it all adds up! And I've found that for ex a tin of polish can do wonders to help dry out your boots, which is handy if you like running up and down streams!

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

It seems like a logical use of dubbin is around the toes and just above the foot pad rubbery bit. Thus allowing the top of the boot to breath and still additionally waterproofing the more prone-to-getting-wet bits.

Now an additional question based on my old age and seniality. If I put dubbin on a new pair of shoes (civvie Churches or Loaks), does that make it harder to get a polish on later?

10. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I always thought Dubbin rotted the stitching?

Remember the old man using it on his work boots everyday when I was a kid, Wrens Dubbin.

I use Altberg leather dressing, good stuff, it's black and you can get a semi-shine on your boots too,

11. You people are taking this thread far too seriously.

Have none of you looked at www.dubbin.com ?

12. Yes, I ignored. Mildly amusing for a short time.

Dubbin does not allow any kind of shine. I found heating the dubbin and applying it in liquid form really helped.

13. Dubbin isn't nearly as good as Nikwax or many other modern products - I'd go with the advances in technology as it were. I did many years ago and haven't regretted it.

14. Dubbin is a very old leather treatment method that has been rendered obsolete by more modern materials and dressings. If you want supple leather try a lanolin based leather polish I use one from the lidl (toit arrse) and can get a mirror finish on the leather using Kiwi afterwards. It was mentioned on a Lowas thread recently that you should only use the recommended waterproofing and polishes on their GoreTex products. Everything else is open season I suppose. As for it rotting stitching I believe that only happens if you leave a lot of dubbin on your boots instead of brushing the excess off. Personally I hated using the stuff.

15. Oh, yes. You'll have flexible but non-reflective footwear.