Dual core laptop performance?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Major_Porksword, Mar 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just ordered a new laptop (Intel core 2 duo 1.6Ghz, +1 gig RAM), but have realised that my computer knowledge is about 5 years out of date. How do you measure dual core performance? ie is a 1.6Ghz dual core roughly equal to a 3.2Ghz single core? I suspect not but haven't been able to find a straightforward non-geek answer to this.
    I'm wanting to try the Rainbow 6 vegas game (which needs a 3Ghz processor), but haven't a clue wether it would work or not.

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Just wait for the laptop to overheat.

They don't have the cooling capacity, no matter how they try to sell them up.

3. True but if you keep your fans, intake and outlet immaculately clean, the heat can be dissipated satisfactorily.

If you still have cooling issues, try one of these;

Laptop cooling

(Maplins do several extra cooling 'mats' for lap tops).

Failing that, buy your self a Softie jacket and use your laptop in a freezer.

4. The easy way to compare Intel processors is to compare the T value (e.g. T7200), this will at least give you a way to compare them. The hertz value is no-longer the be all and end all and the Core 2 Duo range wipes the floor with Pentium IV and Pentium D, and run much cooler.

5. blue-sophist

Absolutely ... it's incredible how much dust and fluff gets around the air ports.

6. I found a pair of leder hosen in mine last week.

7. blue-sophist

8. Thanks for the speedy responses. So a T5200 would be roughly equivalent to 5Ghz? (I'll also make a mental note to keep it well away from lederhosen and small furry animals, and for that matter small furry animals in lederhosen!).