DT: The big lie of the defence funding 'black hole'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dunservin, Jul 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. However you view Lord West, there are few surprises here. In June 2008, I posted this on ARRSE:

Initially, the Labour Government's chronic underfunding of SDR 98 had much to answer for but things have deteriorated even further even under the Conservatives with ever more PFI deals (crushingly mortgaging the MoD well into the future), further deferment of equipment delivery dates (thus raising costs) and slashing of numbers (thus increasing unit costs), all while we have been engaged in two costly conflicts. I'm sure I don't need to provide examples.

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Who, perhaps, is scrabbling around trying to get on Miliband's short list for SecDef when Cameron & Osborne's various ballsups and deceits and u-turns and broken promises hit the fan in 2015?

• Like Like x 1
  3. As soon as cutting our ancient and clapped out Harriers was bitched about, I stopped reading...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ancient and clapped out my old Fiesta may be, but it still gets me to and from work. I'd much rather buy a spanking new Merc or some such, but until such time as I can afford one and the choice remains between the Fiesta or a big red council taxi, I'll keep running my battered old tank. That's just me though, we're all different.

• Like Like x 1
  5. And if you already have a shiny new Merc, would you keep spending money on your clapped out Fiesta or get shot of it?

6. Well that kind of depends on what you mean by 'already have'. See, if the Merc was sat on my driveway with a full tank of fuel and the keys jingling in my hand, then the Fiesta would probably already be in bits in the breaker's yard.

If on the other hand, the Merc was still in it's component parts at the Factory because I hadn't made up my mind whether I wanted the diesel or petrol version (or the prototype hybrid), and the dealers had told me that even once I had made up my mind, I'd still be waiting eight years before I could take delivery, then I'd probably look to keep the trusty old steed running, or at least shop around for a cheap little runaround in the interim.

But then again, that's just me, and we're all different...

• Like Like x 7

7. The Harriers were an RAF asset and the Typhoon provides a huge step change in capability.
    They were very limted light bombers thats day has been and long gone.

8. SunnoWC - As though any thread with a Royal Navy connection, however tenuous, isn't sufficient to prompt a torrent of caustic comments from you. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Please define what specific capability the loss of 6 rather limited light bombers has cost the RN?

10. Which is why, of course, the US Marines use them, being a sort of lightweight organisation bigger than the British Army and RAF combined, or so I,m told.

• Like Like x 2
  11. It.s all going to pot again...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes, that would be the USMC that also has hundreds of its own F/A-18's Hornets to call on as well on many hundreds more USN ones?

13. 6? You just can't help yourself, can you?

14. I know you carrier fantasists love to wibble on about theoretical CAG's of 20 plus aircraft on Lusty and Ark, but the sad reality was that a maximum effort seemed to be 6 and not infrequently, they sallied forth armed to the teeth with just helicopters.

Next!