DST Leconfield - The Future

This message is prompted by my interest in the future of nearby former RAF Driffield (East Yorkshire).

As some of you know the future of the DST at Leconfield is in doubt. Plans are afoot (I am told) to move Deepcut to Leconfield and the DST will move out.

Question: does anyone have any hard fact news regarding either Leconfield or Driffield?

At Driffield the hangars were recently sold, while the airfield is still used by the ATE, but there are plans to sell the site off in eight years time, or is this just another rumour? I understand that any overspill at Leconfield will be relocated to Driffield?

Regards

Phillip Rhodes

leccy in 1987... any one score a goal or 7 at quarter numbered 118???

oh the shame of it

B

Bottleosmoke

brettarider said:
Jurno alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep your right. I cant imagine for one moment that its the drummer of 90's indie band The Gin Blossoms!

Jesus I should get out more!

Actually P Rhodes is not a journo, he has been involved with trying to preserve the RAF Driffield site for some time. Although he won't know me I can vouch for him

Ronnie8781 said:
To be quite honest I would pour petrol throughout Leconfield and BURN IT!!!!
And to top off the fire stick on the twat who runs the cookhouse, and the really helpful provo staff!

heritagegeek said:
This message is prompted by my interest in the future of nearby former RAF Driffield (East Yorkshire).

As some of you know the future of the DST at Leconfield is in doubt. Plans are afoot (I am told) to move Deepcut to Leconfield and the DST will move out.

Question: does anyone have any hard fact news regarding either Leconfield or Driffield?

At Driffield the hangars were recently sold, while the airfield is still used by the ATE, but there are plans to sell the site off in eight years time, or is this just another rumour? I understand that any overspill at Leconfield will be relocated to Driffield?

Regards

Phillip Rhodes
This idea of centralising all RLC Trg into one geographical area has been trashed out for many years.

Plan: Sell all D.C.L.P.A. associated land down south for an absolute packet & relocate it between the redundant site at Driffield & D.S.T.

The plus from this being having all RLC Trade Trg, Holding Sqns, etc within a stones throw of each other & having copious amounts of money from the sale of the afore mentioned land to build state of the art Training Wings.

However all this has been is talk, (For many years.) nothing is yet concrete, I would be interested in where you get your information from.

Or is this as mentioned earlier a jorno alert?

heritagegeek said:

Regards

Phillip Rhodes
Good to see that Rumour Control is up to it's tricks again. Either that or your reading one of the other threads on Leccy and getting wrong end of the stick from some unhappy ex students.

The re-opening of Driff is a far off dream, everyone I know thinks it would be an outstanding idea, it was an excellent base when it was RCT and it could be again. It's a shame to pass it and see the buildings in such a poor state. It's good that the training ground is still used though, at least there’s some good coming out of it. Rumours have been flying around for years that DST would expand there, well we all have dreams don’t we !
And as for the future of DST, that would be the largest residential driving school in Europe, of course it's future is in doubt, lets face it anyone can teach some thousands of Muppets to drive anything on wheels cant they ?
No? Didn’t think so. The only cloud on the horizon at the moment of writing this is the inevitable privatisation plans. (Oh and this years pay-rise would be nice sometime soon, if that’s ok with you Mr Brown).
So hopefully that will answer at least one of your questions. Feel free to ask again, and if I know and I can legally then I’ll answer :)

P. S.
Whilst I disagree with pouring petrol throughout DST and torching it, the idea about the cookhouse crew sounds good to me, "Crispy Fried Sedexho Employee Anyone

Sodexho and MGS. Civvy cnuts! And Jim Bowen. How long has he been there?!

I mailed a mate who works at Leconfield, as his response was

The facts seem to be, it's all shyte!

Given the amount of investment in training infrastructure that has recently gone on at Leconfield, actual movement of the school to the Driffield training area is a no-no!

Firstly, the site has little or no infrastructure.
Secondly,no way is the Driffield site actually big enough.
Thirdly, the Driffield site is far too far away from the Cat C test routes....moving THEM outwards would in fact make them 'illegal' in that they would fail to meet DDSA criteria.....hence no DSA routes in the Driffield area.

The Leconfield site is due to undergo huge renovation of existing hard structures....making the requirements cheaper to maintain...currently 2 huge hangers have 'portable' buildings of 2 storeys inside them for classrooms, training units, etc.
Very good for anti-terrorist reasons...but very costly to maintain as the hangers are old and hardened.
The clasroom facilities are due to be sited externally, then the hangers demolished.
(we're talking some 30 or so individual classrooms....maybe more...DST is HUGE)

The airfield-site is covered with recently re-surfaced roadways, many kilometres in lenght....takes 10 minutes to drive off camp via the training area!
Plus, several million pounds has just been speent on a new 'hill' for road vehicles (C,D, and +E's).....this has been put in place to meet new DSA requirements for gradients on a test route, which the almost flat environment of Hull and its surrounds cannot physically meet........the DSA will also at some point be able to use this hill for civilain tests..(up and down restarts)........

The RAF have almost completed their new hanger facilities for the ASR helicopter unit.....so their old hanger can be demolished.

The X-country circuit cannot be superceded by anything close by...even Driffield.....since it is extremely well maintained to provide consistant X-country driver training ground for each new student....Driffield, which we/I currently use for DROPS X-country training, is far too rough as Strensall (whose budget it is on) will not spend too much for maintenance.
A rough X-country circuit, which damages vehicles too easily, is of zero training value to a new driver.
Plus, the MoD cannot sustain the costs of the inevitable vehicle repairs.

The rumour mill is usually based on half-heard misinformation.....yep, the RLC Headquarters WILL move to Leconfield from Deepcut, when that place is sold...subject to residential planning permission...which has so far eluded the Mod.....in fact, as far as I'm aware, the RLC headquarters IS ALREADY at Leconfield!!...or some of it at least!

I think the rumours are founded on the information concerning the proposed upgrading of facilities at Leconfield.

The setup there is first class, no doubt about it. But the accomodation is crap, and the car parking minimal!

That's where the money should go. (IMO).

Active_Edge_841 said:
heritagegeek said:

Regards

Phillip Rhodes
This idea of centralising all RLC Trg into one geographical area has been trashed out for many years.

Plan: Sell all D.C.L.P.A. associated land down south for an absolute packet & relocate it between the redundant site at Driffield & D.S.T.

The plus from this being having all RLC Trade Trg, Holding Sqns, etc within a stones throw of each other & having copious amounts of money from the sale of the afore mentioned land to build state of the art Training Wings.

However all this has been is talk, (For many years.) nothing is yet concrete, I would be interested in where you get your information from.

Or is this as mentioned earlier a jorno alert?
there was a plan about a year ago to turn the old base at driffield into a nuclear waste disposal site but that plan has so far fallen through

I posted this under current affairs, I'm surprised its quoted as "occasionally" used as I quite often see the newer wagons, jackal etc on their way up there

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PapaGolf The Training Wing 0
xxsushideexx The Training Wing 3
F RLC 30