DSL Beaconsfield Language Wing

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by RfnZ, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I was hoping someone here would be able to advise me concerning how things work with the language courses the army offers.

Im TA, not reg, and a student in the real world. I remember seeing information posted concerning opportunities to undertake language courses up to interpreter level, and then on completion of said course go on an operational tour, in a role using your newly taught skill.

I know this is open to the TA, but how does it work? Would you be paid a regular army wage to attend the 18 month course, or does the army subsidise it in some way? Given that you are volunteering for a tour at the end of the course, I assume the army does assist you in some way, however it strikes me as being too good to be true for them to actually pay me to do a course, which would otherwise cost me £9,000 + in university tuition fees to do! Also, are there any rank requirements?

2. Speak to your Adjt. He can put you in touch with DSL and you will get a broader idea of your options and terms of service.

The general route you suggest is eminently feasible; my experience is of officers attending DSL (as non-TA Int Corps Lings/RAF) but if you show an aptitude for a language then I'm sure you will be accepted. Just don't expect to learn French/Spanish - it will be Arabic/Pashto.

I have met one individual recently from the TA who has completed 3 TELIC tours since 2002 on the back of an Arabic operator cse having quit his job. The choice is yours.

CH

3. I know a couple of TA guys who are doing it on an FTRS basis for 3 years, They're on a full-time contract for that period and it will include 2 x op tours.

There may be other options.

Good advice from C-H, speak to your Adjt if you want to find out what's on offer.