Dry January

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by chasndave, Jan 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. no- thought about it long and hard-well two mins and came to the ultimate conclusion that this was the most stupid idea of 2013 so far !!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. As a an 80 cans of Stella a week type of guy, I went dry from Sep-Nov inclusive and lost 2.5 stone. So back on the wagon from 6th Jan till May. See how much I loose this time.

Good luck to you chasendave :) hope you do well and enjoy the benefit of your efforts.
  3. did it this time last year,for about 6-8 weeks,however i took the dosh i would have spend and saved it in a piggy bank was surprised at the amount saved.
  4. I've not gone dry, but over the last couple of months or or so I have massively reduced my alcohol intake. I'm averaging only about 10 units max a month. I feel fresher, and I have lost a huge amount of weight and bulk.
  5. god- 10 units-thats breakfast !!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I'm surprised how little I miss it if I'm honest.

As I am (amongst other things) the Bar Manager at the Decompression Centre at Bloodhound Camp, I serve beer every evening. I never even feel that I fancy one now. And the wine is enough to make anyone go teetotal!
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Not planning on going dry. I think its too late anyway. But I'm going to try to massively reduce my alcohol intake, which is typically about 3-4 times the recommended limit. And try this 5:2 diet which will at least force me to stay dry for 2 days a week.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 3-4 times the recommended limit? 60-80 units per week?

That 5:2 diet looks quite interesting though - might have to give that a spin at some point..........
  9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Not exactly done the calculations, but at least a bottle of wine a day … rinsed down with a couple of brandies in the evening.

Starvation Day 1 is planned for Thursday, and then every Tue/Thu thereafter. I'm not too fussed about the minimal food but the zero booze is deffo going to be a bit uncomfortable.
  10. Well done you :)
  11. Good luck to you. It takes me about 4 days to feel normal but I sleep like a log the first night. :)
  12. That's the first thing I notice when I lay off the juice - quite how much better I sleep.

13. I thought the recommended limit was 28 units per week? I am cutting down to that and having 2 dry days a week. My new year resolution. Might give the 5:2 diet a go too.
  14. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Have you stopped pissing the bed as well then ?