Drunken student disprespects cenotaph durinng a p**sed up protest

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by King-walt, Aug 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ****!

Gilmour son jailed for student demo - Yahoo!

The son of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour has been jailed for 16 months for going on a drink-and-drug-fuelled rampage at a student fees protest...

Gilmour, who apologised afterwards for his behaviour, had claimed he had not realised the significance of the Cenotaph - an excuse the judge scoffed at: "For a young man of your intelligence and education and background to profess to not know what the Cenotaph represents defies belief."
  2. I don't really care if Gilmour got 16 minutes community service or 16 months as bubba's currency in some Victorian penal institute. Neither infliction makes any difference to me or society. There won't be less desecrations of war memorials, or any more respect for them. Because if this educated scion can't see the significance of what he's done, it doesn't matter any more, because those who have his privileged background will one day be the arbiter of what is considered good taste, decency and even morals in this country. That's how far gone we are. We deny our history, good or bad, and accept new social nihilism as our future in a homogenised European state.

Gilmour, maybe not in person, epitomises the future: The past does not matter. Any nation or people can be what it want's to be today. No more 'baggage'

(Before any of the resident nazi's and right wing loony trolls think I 'm a convert, **** off! Lenin is still the best political theorist and visionary I've ever read.)
  3. What news of the siege of Khartoum........
  4. [​IMG]

Finger, I'd like you to meet pulse, you switched on twat!
  5. Sadly the city has fallen and General Gordon has been slain by some fuzzy wuzzy spear chucker, but not all is lost!
    General Kitchener is on his way to meet the mahdi in a place called Omdurman, just accross the Nile from Khartoum.
    He will probably want to discuss the Mahdi's recent errant behaviour at some length!
  6. And Mafeking?
    Are they still besieged?
  7. A British General yesterday;

8. Yes still, could be a long one. I'm sure that the garrison will hold, the OIC has taken to using local boys...
  9. When I first heard about this, I was so outraged I fell off my dinosaur.

Your computer has a very slow internet connection if it's taken this long to find out.
  10. Think you have got a fair point, if a Cambridge student doesn't know what the cenotaph is, what chance does some scrawny chavscum have.

I do like how the judge laughed off his claims that he didn't know what it was.

My experience of Oxford students is that for every ounce of academia inhabiting their brains, an ounce of common sense is removed. Lived in Oxford for many years and the day before May Day (when all the students go to Magdalen Bridge and jump off it, despite heavy policing, barriers and all that; just to try and impress some girl) it never stopped being funny to find as many shopping trolleys, wheely bins and other general junk as you could, and littering the river with them directly under the bridge. Then sitting on the grass with a few beers the next day, watching the bellends hit your targets perfecty.

Back on topic, I think it's fairly true that remembering yesterday's servicemen is just not on the agenda for bringing up the modern yoof. Sex, drugs, alcohol, guns and how-to-claim-dole education are far higher on the agenda. I doubt that the average teacher nowadays knows what day the second world war ended, let alone wants to teach their kids about it; in between striking and being abused by 10 year olds.

The cadets is the only place modern teenagers get to learn about this sacrifice. And I'm not too sure that's the case across the board; with units far too pressured to get star passes and DofE awards to teach the cadets why they're doing it. I think it's fairly safe to say that in both the civil and cadet worlds, military history is a thing of the past and that it will continue to dither until all the war memorials have been sold off by the councils for their value in stone.
  11. I'm off to Bisley this afternoon......

A chap I met in my club, a Mr Webley, is very keen to demonstrate his new revolver.....

.....I doubt if they'll ever realy catch on though!
  12. Is that as in use and throw away afterwards
  13. The vast majority of those killed and injured will come from a working class background. It's probably the 'chavscum' who'll remember and honour them better than the toffs.

What Charlie Gilmour actually meant was that he didn't realise how much indignation and anger his actions would cause and that he wouldn't be able to talk his way out of it with a judge who thinks money carries its own rules and values.
  14. Messengers and scouts, apparently. Hmm, scouts. Y'know, that might just catch on at home... Maybe B-P could sort that out after the siege is over