Drunken British Troops.

Is it too late to change to a different army?

Amsterdam - Dutch troops helping earthquake survivors in Pakistan have complained that while they are subject to an alcohol ban, Spanish and British soldiers laugh at their austerity and turn up drunk at their campfires.

"We were told before we arrived that alcohol was banned in this country or else very difficult to get hold of and we accepted this," one soldier told the Dutch daily De Telegraaf.

"The Spanish drive around with cars full of Heineken... and the English laugh at us when they show up at our campfire drunk," another Dutch soldier said.

A Dutch defence ministry spokesman said it was standard policy to ban alcohol in Muslim countries in line with local custom and Dutch troops were being well looked after.

"Tens of thousands of people lost their lives in the earthquake and hundreds of thousands lost everything they had," he said.

"Going without alcohol is a small sacrifice toward a very good cause."
The Dutch as a nation are generally top fellas and I enjoy my pilgrimage to Assen every year for the TT, but their troops are jusht crayshee! On (non tac)ex in Denmark a couple of years back we had a block party, the Cloggies came out and complained about the noise at 2200 hrs! I asked them politely to leave us be, but in the cold light of day my politeness turned out to be fairly offensive and had to go cap in hand to beg forgiveness from their OC. Homms

Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Harry_Webster said:
Auld-Yin said:
An_Englishman said:
Good point!
And the 'troops'were probably Engerlish :roll:
Because all the Jock Regiments had been disbanded, without the winking of an eye! :wink:
Very true Harry W, but at least they were talking about winking - not w@nking you w@nker :roll:
The U.S. Army has the same policy concerning alcohol. But you can make your own. All you need is a canteen, a little sugar, yeast and fruit juice stolen (or donated) from the cooks, and you're in business. It's a nasty brew, though.
Don't believe everything you read in De Telegraaf - although its (technically) a broad sheet its journalistic standards are more on a par with the Mirror/Sun etc
Yes, when you've been living in the woods for 3 weeks, you're cold, tired, been taking a bath from a canteen cup, beggars can't be choosers. It's pure hell on the bowels though.

Kit Reviewer
I really dont see the problem... dutch always seemed to have a sense of humour...

Oh, my world is falling apart, it really is... :twisted: