Drunk Yobs To face RMP&MDP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Myss, Jun 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Haven't seen the topic here - if so - ignore. Good idea or not?

Strong Arm of the Law!

2. a good idea but why should our lads have to backfill civvys,so am i right in saying that the civvy police will help out in the sandpit ,i do not think so

3. Not a new idea though - in pretty well all the major military towns (Catterick, Alders, etc) Monkey Patrols were always out on the weekends, and in some BAOR towns too. Our civvie police saw some action in the 60/70s MM - Aden Cyprus etc. My concern is that they will be restricted in "handling" these chavs no doubt...

4. I thought there was a policy where MOD police can assist local police if requested. I am not sure where the RMP stand when it comes to dealing with members of the general public who are not MOD. Could this be why they patrol on their own but monitor the radio so they can deal with MOD personnel? whilst the MOD police patrol with local officers.
    As for the backfilling of civvy police comment.. any help greatfully received would be the answer. Also if those involved are military then surely it makes sense for MOD to be on hand to deal with them?

5. You are right in saying civvy police will be in the sandpit, they are there training the new Iraqi Police force :wink:

6. This is not a new concept with regards to joint policing it happens in a number of locations, including Germany. In response to what the 'monkeys' can do with respect to civvies, quite simple a Constable can call upon any person to assist him in the execution of his duties, RMP are therefore called upon to assist, an example of this is whilst on a UK posting I was monitoring the UK civpol radio and a violent incident involving baseball bats was called through, there were no civpol units available so I offered my patrol, the control room accepted and off we went. Upon arriving a bloke was beating his father with said baseball bat and i intervened, in a polite friendly policeman like way of course :) , I then made a citizens arrest and due to the fact I am a home office instructor in the restraint and protection devices available to me at that time, I hand cuffed him placed him in my patrol vehicle and waited for the civilian police unit to arrive. No problems.

As for should we (RMP) be doing the joint patrols, I think yes, we have a responsibility to Police the Armed Forces irrespective of where they serve and it can only do us good.

I hope this helps

7. My hero! (in a south'n Dixie sorta accent).

8. Why thank you (bows)

9. Your welcome Sherriff!

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sounds like a good idea to me - but why not make them 'Special Constables' so that they have the legal power to deal with chavs as and when necessary. I believe this is done in the Falklands.

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

MoDPol will be ok as long as there are plenty of barriers to deal with.

12. Strikes me that the Old Bill are a tad short handed. Besides the 'Speshuls', they've got Community Safety Officers (policing on the cheap?) and now they wish to draw from the Army.

Is this not putting a strain on our 'long armed hairy bretheren' givien that they spend a substantial time occupied in other areas? My cousin is a Monkey and listening to him, I'm glad that I'm not.

What's the score with the MOD PLOD.........why can't they just provide the support, they are after all civilian policemen and this is after all a civilian matter?

I suppose the upshot is that the Monkeys might learn something...........like how to speak to people in a civil manner.

13. Methinks there is a business venture coming up - for wait for it... some sort of erm... private owned security force, or does that sound familiar?? (I'm sure the privatised prison services could moonlight)

14. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Is it not the case that in Aldershot, the RMP have civdiv police status? They did have back in 84.