Drums platoons?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Cardinal, Oct 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know not many (any??) infantry regiments have bands anymore but last year I was doing an inspection at Hounslow Bks and the infantry Bn there (Line Regt not Foot Guards) had a (very good) fife and drums band.

Do all inf Bn's have drums platoons, or whatever they are called, still??

Regards
    Cardinal

2. All Battalions from the Royal Regiment of Scotland have pipes and drums platoons.

3. Yes they do.

Jock/gurkha/irish have pipes. (and drums gurkhas also use bugles)
    Rifle and Light use just bugles.
    every one else drums, fyfes and bugles.

4. Are they also the defence pln (for local defence of the Bn HQ)

5. Simple answer is that yes they do, except for the Parachute Regiment who obviously came after the need for drum, fife, bagpipe or bugle (although not the hunting horn!).

The name of the platoon depends on the Battalion. But in what used to be an English county regiment, it would have normally been called the Drums Platoon. Depending on the heritage of the regiment / battalion in question it will play one or more of the following: drum, fife, bagpipe or bugle. ( I assume the RRF still play Northumbrian pipes amongst other things). The platoon's name will obviously have sort of connection with their primary instrument.

The operational role of the platoon is generally GPMG(SF) although there are variations. Unlike bands, these platoons are part of the battalion establishment and the soldiers in these platoons are fully qualified infantry soldiers.

I assume Foot Guards Battalions follow a similar arrangement although I believe the 'Drums Platoon' is the 'Corps of Drums' . However, doubtless there is a Foot Guards Drum Major out there who will correct me on what I'm sure is a gross oversimplification.

6. bugle plt in the light div are all sustained fire mg plt, dont know about other regts etc.

7. Bugle Major "Sir" Sound the Advance...

8. The Royal Highland Fusiliers (now 2 SCOTS) used to have a bugle corps in addition to their Pipes&Drums (one of their antecedent regiments was light infantry - HLI). I wonder if they still continue that tradition?

9. In my day - mind you it was 50 years ago - we had a battalion Corps Of Drums, lads who played both bugle and drum. This was in addition to the Band. On active service they became members of a rifle company. Battalion was 1st Devons, before amalgamation with Dorsets I might add.

10. Ah the Drums Plt!

Excellent at bulling the Ammo Boots for the rest of the Btn
    for a reasonable price, quite a few infantry soldiers would be lost
    without them and these skills.

Ah and some where down the line I am led to believe they are involved
    with sustained fire??

11. The bugling is done by the side-drummers now (I don't know when there was last a Bugle Major but I know one existed). Regimental Standing Orders state that the buglers carry silver bugles and that the WOs' and Sgts' mess presented new bugles in 1972.

12. Original Para did have drum & flute (note flute) playing Corps of Drums, mainly as they recruited heavily from the Foot Guards. Later they became a rank of drummers for the Regimental Band.

Foot Guards still have Corps of Drums, although because of skills/roles/duties they can get scattered to the four winds on deployment/training. Getting them back up & running to a standard is some task.

Note that all such (not just Guards) are Corps of Drums, the 'Drums Platoon' thing is a more recent misnomer.

13. ...if you want to annoy them call 'em Bandsmen :)

14. Bugle Major...'SIR!'.... Sound the double!.....(Cue bugle).....(Cue Drums)

Best bit of military music around, The Road to the Isles I believe its called, I think its ace, even the running around the square bit!

Cheers Easy!

15. Barbs. Sad the tradition wasn't maintained. I last saw the RHF P&Ds in 1969/70 complete with rear rank of Buglers who, incidentally, wore Mackenzie trews and glengarries RHF (unlike the pipers and drummers who wore kilts of Red Erskine and pipers glengarries and feather bonnets respectively). They certainly were an impressive band, the Drum Major also wore Mackenzie trews and a bearskin cap.