Drummer Thomas Flinn VC

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by the_matelot, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The following extract appeared in my local rag around Xmas time and the parents kept it for me. It's definitely a positive step ahead however it's a crying shame that the VC Medal awarded to possibly the youngest VC Recipient ever is missing.

Drummer Flinn is buried in common ground in Cornamagh Cemetery less than 1/2 mile as the crow flies from where I spent the first 17 1/2 years of my life and I was never aware of this. I managed to take pictures of where he is buried the last time I was home and I will try and upload them as soon as possible.

Copyright Westmeath Independent

As far as I'm aware, his VC Medal is missing which is a bloody shame. Does anyone know who is directing this supposed new campaign? I'd be more than glad to help in whatever way I could. It's the least that could be done to remember this soldier's memory in a way that he deserves.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. t_m I'm by no means an expert on Irish VC winners but the following points may be of further interest to you.

In all, 8 VC's were removed / forfeited/ confiscated from their owners, 3 of whom were Irishmen.

I very much doubt that Thomas's VC was "confiscated by the Guardians" as the article says. I surmise that the author is confusing his medal with his pension. As for the medal's whereabouts, I'd very confidently suggest that it's either in a metal box in the depths of an MOD office with the others or is in the collection of an MP famed for his collection of VC's.

There is a book on Irish VC holders written by the Derry military historian, Richard Doherty. Well worth a look if you haven't as yet come across it.

3. Alec,

Cheers for that. I was aware that there was a book on Irish VC Winners but it's on my list of books to read!

However, there doesn't seem to be a record of where the medal is either being held by MOD or in someone's collection.

I have contacted Lord Ashcroft by email as well and await his reply!

4. Sorry to resurrect a thread, but is there any update on this? It seems the workhouse guardians were keeping his annuity and it seems feasible that they 'confiscated' his VC to stop Thomas pawning it for money for grog.

Here's the transcript of the Hansard record

THOMAS FLINN, V.C. (Hansard, 1 April 1892)

Edited to add: According to this article the buggers couldn't be bothered to spell his name correctly.

Thomas Flynn VC - victoriacross

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017