Drugs to combat superbugs 'will soon be useless'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Mar 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In addition to my previous post:

Were all fecked. I blame all those bloody squaddies out- there shagging anything that moves then coming home with the clap and needing a dose of antibiotics! :twisted:
  2. Now labour are claiming that hospital acquired infections have dropped dramatically, since 'they' brought in mandatory recording of MRSA cases.

Whilst i dont doubt that the NHS staff are taking cleanliness more seriously, i have suspicions that this 'wonderful reduction' in cases of MRSA is more likely down to the way that the occurences are recorded. Hospitals are loathed to admit that someone has died from MRSA in their hospital, so pressure is put on clinicians to record any other disease/infection as the cause of death.

One example is Micheal Howards mother who he believes (and is still fighting ti porve) died of a hospital acquired MRSA infection.

I see this more and more my contact with the NHS.

Any thoughts/experiences on this subject?

3. If people actually followed the advice of doctors/pharmacists/nurses and finished their course of antibiotics instead of stopping taking them when their symptoms abate then this problem would be so much smaller.
  4. Lets not forget the tons of antibiotics fed to livestock to make them grow better.

Plus all the people who demand antibiotics for viral infections which they have no effect on. Doctor's need better prescription practices.
  5. Any type of research is open to criticism and I dare say that holes/limitations will be picked in the latest evidence. What is obvious is that this is an area that has received a large amount of column inches and the advice about handwashing has been pushed in the press. Go to any hospital and you will see plenty of staff with alcohol gel bottles hanging off thier belts. A simple and quick way of cleansing physically clean hands. If cleanliness and handwashing are pushed then it is reasonable to assume that MRSA levels will fall. What is also good is patients and relatives being encouraged to ask nurses and doctors if they have washed their hands inbetween patients. Some of my colleagues may think that this is annoying and patronising but I am happy to wash my hands if challenged (I am a QARANC nurse). It is our duty to provide a safe and clean environment for our patients but it is your duty to take some responsibility for your own treatment and environment (where possible). If that means reminding a member of staff to wash their hands or point out a dirty area then so be it. We are very very busy people and sometimes forget things.