Drugs in Royal Regiment of Scotland

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by nomadcelt, Feb 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently the Army are officially investigating photos which appear to show members of 1RRS: Royal Scots and King's Own Scottish Borderers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6352735.stm).

Surely the first investigation should be in to whether this unit actually exists or not. I'm 'pretty' it doesn't. I am 'very' sure it's 1RRS: Royal Scots Borderers.

(unless, of course, the photos are from pre-01 Aug 06)

2. Aren't jock regiments renowned for taking drugs? Drug misuse is a massive problem in the forces though those at the top are blind to the fact.

3. Nope, no drugs here Sir!

4. Never a truer word stated. However, Scouse, London, Yorkshire and any other Regiments are just as bad, oh and let's not forget the Corps as well. I imagine that most WOs & Sgts as well as Officer's Messes are not imune either.

I was in when Urine testing was first introduced and due to financial constraints it was made random rather than frequent and compulsory as in the US Forces.

The Army needs to take a fresh view on this. Either use every means possible to eradicate the issue, which will probably lead to further manpower problems, or accept the fact that people take drugs.

The military has a numer of mythical positions when addressing contraversial issues, remember the nonsense said about homosexuals?

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Presumably supported by CDT figures?

6. CDT only catch a small minority of drug misusers. Unless you are CDT'd within 48hrs of taking a substance you'll pretty much pass a CDT. So those weekend rave clubbers if tested on a Tueasday onwards will be pretty much safe. Cocaine is used by many in the forces as it's pretty much out of your system within 12/24 hours. Ecstacy and amphetamine within 48hrs. Those who smoke cannabis will be more likely to be caught.

7. Sorry, do you have any facts to support this?

8. Yes. The facts are walking around units everyday laughing at the CDT. Do a google search on drugs in the system.

9. I very much doubt that Cocaine is in high use in the army,it's quite easy to spot this type of junkie, other than by urine tests.It maybe out your system in 12/24 hrs, but it f-cks your head up,and would be spotted quite early.

10. How is it easy to spot someone who takes cocaine at weekends? Do they grow horns or something?

11. You'd be surprised mate, I've been a civvy a while and to a degree niaive to the entire drugs scene, despite working one of the most notorius sets of doors around.

I've known and mixed with people whom I've had no idea were raving coke heads.

Its more common place than you think, saying that I have no clue or opinion about its use in the Army...

It seems very much a social thing, and seems generally accepted everywhere... Not excusing it, nor betraying my own hatred of the stuff just saying its in far greater circulation than you'd believe

12. Do we pay our soldiers enough for Class A's??

13. Well according to my brother and a fair few of my friends back in Manchester, it's £40 a gram and a gram will last a weekend user a night. Most soldiers can afford this for 4 weekends a month.

14. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Sounds like it's not just the senior officers that are niaive...

You know it's serious when you're doing foot checks as a platoon commander, looking out for needle wounds in between a tom's toes (a few years ago now mind)!

dpm