Drug users are not welcomed in Australian army.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by KGB_resident, Mar 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can see no controversy. It's just saying that potential recruits can admit to having TRIED illegal drugs, instead of having to lie about it. Or have I missed something?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Not quite welcomed, Sergey

I suspect that there will be the same rules as UK mil intakes. Acceptance of the fact that they have in the past transgressed with the simple guideline they will be out on their arrse if they get caught doing so again

3. I understand. So there are only few drug addicts (if any) in Australian army.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/21/1077072890926.html

No doubt he lied and it was a hard task to find a regiment where he could serve. Nobody likes liars.

Dischaged. Of course drug users are not welcomed in Australian army.

4. in_the_cheapseats

Sergey

When did you change the title of this thread? The new title is as correct as your first attempt. Are you now changing this thread from recruiting to serving personnel?

No different from any sane military employer, I would hope. Get rid of dross when you find it.

Since you seem to be so well informed on the matter, what is the Russian Army's policy on this subject?

5. In Russia they don't get paid, hence there is no drug problem as they can't afford to buy any! :D

6. Sergey,

how many drug users are there in the Soviet (Oops, sorry, Russian) Army??. Just so we can make comparisons as its obviously a vital issue for you.

7. Pre-note: it is the NAAFI Bar. Keep smile!

I wrote 'welcomed' and it was not good. I changed it for 'not welcomed' - it is not good again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2848467.stm

However I suspect that the problem remains unresolved.

8. in_the_cheapseats

Replacement to last post as I suddenly realised I was unfairly stamping on Sergey.

Ok Sergey - policy question answered.

What then are the numbers of users/abusers of drink and drugs in the Russian Army currently? I have had a look around Pravda and found strangely, that the subject is not commented on, at least on the English language site.

However several foreign sites suggest you have real problems on both these fronts. With this new policy and with the problem you have with "hazing", your recruiting problem is going to get even worse isn't it?

Comment?

10. Show me please, articles on BBC, CNN, on main British or American newspapers about drug users in Russian army and I would be able to comment.

I realised that there are too few reports about drug users in Russian army in Russian free (indeed free) press. Many newspapers stay on obviously anti-army positions and adore to expose any wrongdoings in Russian armed forces (bulling, bribes, using soldiers as cheap workforce and so on). As for drugs then 'free press's relatively calm. There was a report about praporshchik (NCO) who sold drugs. It looks as an isolated case. It doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist. However its scale is not huge anyway.

Anecdote:

Russian drug addict asks himself: drugs or vodka? And answers himself: Am I not Russian?!

Something that would be regarded as a bitter alcohogolism is not something special in Russia. So Russian officers are mainly sober from one point of view and alcohogolics from another one.

11. Yet in my experience of Australian servicemen they positively encourage the recruitment of sex-maniac, alcoholic, violent psychopaths who like rugby football...which explains why they are top allies!!