Drug and alcohol in the Army

#1
It is too well know that alcohol is a big problem in some armies (In Russian one for example). And drugs is serious problem as well. So what should be done?

Our American friends alas face the problem.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/06/army_crackdown_060809w/

Drug and alcohol abuse in the ranks is on the rise...
...
Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Chiarelli issued commanders across the service a message directing them to do a better job...
...
“There is a growing population of soldiers with substance abuse problems, as indicated by multiple positive urinalysis results and alcohol-related actions that have not been referred to the [Army Substance Abuse Program] by their commanders,” Chiarelli said.

Only 70 percent of the soldiers who tested positive for illegal drug use have been referred to ASAP for treatment in the past three years, according to ASAP officials.

That rate should be 100 percent
...
Over the past five years, positive test results have risen steadily.

The percentage has gone from 1.72 percent for the active component in fiscal 2004 to 2.38 percent in fiscal 2008
...
That would mean about 8,600 soldiers in fiscal 2004, and about 12,800 in fiscal 2008, tested positive.

Alcohol abuse also remains a problem with about 25 percent of soldiers found to be heavy drinkers...
 
#6
D0lly86 said:
I had a couple of Dutch Airforce people on an aeromed I was on and they said they are allowed to smoke weed on Wednesday.
We met a bunch of Kingoes once in Blackpool that were that wired on powder they didnt notice the fag ends and grobs we were dropping in their bottled water whilst they were bezzering us ! Dirty c*nts
 
#8
Well I never had any problems gettting hold of alcohol in the Army.

Some yanks came over on exchange and were horrified to find that the "5 can rule" meant they had to show 5 empties before being allowed to leave.
 
#9
Drugs and alcohol in the Army-SOPs??...Drink lots of alcohol at night then get up the following morning with a hangover...Take two Brufen, all is correct with the world :wink:
 
#10
E-Layer said:
reni_77 said:
We met a bunch of Kingoes once in Blackpool that were that wired on powder...
How times change.

All the ones I ever met were off their tits on solvents and never 'bezzered', preferring instead to take on the world.
Fannys, 3 of them twitching and wide eyed in a revue bar at 4 in the afternoon ?? .... as I said, skeggy dirty c*nts, good run ashore for 6 booties on a stag do in the North Wests premier resort
 
#11
reni_77 said:
E-Layer said:
reni_77 said:
We met a bunch of Kingoes once in Blackpool that were that wired on powder...
How times change.

All the ones I ever met were off their tits on solvents and never 'bezzered', preferring instead to take on the world.
Fannys, 3 of them twitching and wide eyed in a revue bar at 4 in the afternoon ?? .... as I said, skeggy dirty c*nts, good run ashore for 6 booties on a stag do in the North Wests premier resort
FANYs would never be in a revue bar 8O
 
#16
theoriginalphantom said:
DMSDAVE said:
When our Bn was in Belize, some blokes were so stoned they didn't know what day it was! :lol:
Half my unit couldn't name a day of the week let alone which one it was. This is before they drink/inject/smoke/eat anything exotic.
My feelings exactly, TOP!

Litotes
 
#19
It doesn't matter how illegal drugs are, unless our culture condemns it, we will always have a problem. When they see a constant stream of media stories about various role models and high profile people, actors, musicians and various celebrities and what looks like a very rewarding lifestyle, people will have difficulty believing that different rules should apply to us. Not sure if you'll agree with my example, but look at that prick Elton John. He is / was a notorious drugs abuser with a coke habit the size of Colombia - now our boss H M The Queen has rewarded him with a knighthood. If you or I got caught sniffing a single line of that junk we would lose our jobs, lose our pension and no doubt have to listen to some half-wit bleating on about flashbacks and junkies etc etc.

Athletes and sports stars are slightly different in that they generally get shafted if they get caught - although only in their golden years while they are performing at the top level. Once they no longer compete, they are generally allowed to do what they like. Does anyone ostracise Frank Bruno because he smoked dope? No. Then again, he's fcukign huge! :D

Personally I am vehemently anti-drugs, but that's because they fuel criminal behaviour and lead indirectly to death and mayhem every day, rather than any rubbish about mind-bending and chemical disruption. I also believe that people should be free to liberate / destroy themselves as they see fit and think that drugs should be legalised. But no doubt some loser would blame society for letting them get addicted! :(
 
#20
PoisonDwarf said:
It doesn't matter how illegal drugs are, unless our culture condemns it, we will always have a problem. When they see a constant stream of media stories about various role models and high profile people, actors, musicians and various celebrities and what looks like a very rewarding lifestyle, people will have difficulty believing that different rules should apply to us. Not sure if you'll agree with my example, but look at that prick Elton John. He is / was a notorious drugs abuser with a coke habit the size of Colombia - now our boss H M The Queen has rewarded him with a knighthood. If you or I got caught sniffing a single line of that junk we would lose our jobs, lose our pension and no doubt have to listen to some half-wit bleating on about flashbacks and junkies etc etc.

Athletes and sports stars are slightly different in that they generally get shafted if they get caught - although only in their golden years while they are performing at the top level. Once they no longer compete, they are generally allowed to do what they like. Does anyone ostracise Frank Bruno because he smoked dope? No. Then again, he's fcukign huge! :D

Personally I am vehemently anti-drugs, but that's because they fuel criminal behaviour and lead indirectly to death and mayhem every day, rather than any rubbish about mind-bending and chemical disruption. I also believe that people should be free to liberate / destroy themselves as they see fit and think that drugs should be legalised. But no doubt some loser would blame society for letting them get addicted! :(
We took a step in the right direction with the decision to teach drugs at school. However, there are a couple of issues:

a) It's far too lovey dovey - i.e. "It's OK if you accidentally take drugs, because we'll welcome with you open arms and put you in rehab" and not "If you get mixed up in hard drugs, you'll be forced to work the streets until you die" which is a lot closer to the reality.

b) It causes kids to over-estimate the problem. If you talk about drugs as if it's normal and everyone is doing them, you run the risk of legitmising it in kids minds.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts