Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Drought In The UK Is it Time

To Get A Grip.

The media are blaming Climate Change for the melting of the Ice Caps, freak storms, extreme hot weather, raging fires, scorched earth across the country, reservoirs drying up, hosepipe bans.

Standby for mass buying and stock piling of Bottled Water.

So there it is, now what are we going to do about it?

Is it time to invest massively in Water Desalination Plants to ease the pressure on relying on reservoirs? That worked well for Thames Water.

I've said it before in other threads, we need a Water Management Policy. To manage the Water that causes mass flooding when we do get torrential rain, and ensure it is channelled to where it needs to go. Water catchment structures directing it to reservoirs and lakes a la' Hong Kong in the Monsoon periods.

One thing is for sure, the powers that be can't just sit on their backsides and hope for the best.

Look on the bright sides.
1. There has been a massive investment in infrastructure to move water around the UK.
2. It will keep the rioters and kinetic shoppers at home.

Being a KOS i can remeber, the old man using simple soap then using the bath water to water the veg plot, cannot see why kitchens do not have a out let to water butts, how much do we pour away running water to get hot/cold water.
As i've said before someones going to start shouting about taking water/gas/elec back into public owenership,one can only hope for a mild winter

thank goodness we haven't wasted any money on building new water storage in the UK in the past 30 years, and (I'm told) the water companies have made a fortune in selling off many of the pesky things as well. Apparently we have less storage now that during the little dry spell in '76

Being a KOS i can remeber, the old man using simple soap then using the bath water to water the veg plot, cannot see why kitchens do not have a out let to water butts, how much do we pour away running water to get hot/cold water.
As i've said before someones going to start shouting about taking water/gas/elec back into public owenership,one can only hope for a mild winter

I've already got the parts for diverting our shower, sinks, dishwasher and washing machine water into the garden. I just need enough time to do the actual fitting.
stage two is a large (underground) water tank at the bottom of the garden for rainwater storage

You have given me an idea there. I have a Combi Boiler, it's a decent Vaillant one, although is reaching 10 years old.

If I want hot water to assist with SWMBO washing dishes etc, I have to run a good deal of cold water down the sink before it is hot enough to wash the dishes, could be 5 maybe 10 litres possibly.

Likewise after running the hot water, if you want cold water for a drink or whatever, I run several litres of hot water, (previously heated using gas) down the sink until it runs cold. It is a no brained to do what you suggest. No idea why someone hasn't thought of it before, or if they have, why haven't we heard about it.

I am going to look at ways to do that from now on. Thanks for the suggestion.

UK population in 1976.....56.21 million.
UK population in 2022.....67.44 million.

I wonder how many people had dishwashers/showers/washing machines in 1976 compared to now.

The "droughts" will only get worse.

Flooding will also get worse as much of the green belt has been built on. A mature oak tree can draw up to 50 gallons of water per day!

Basically you can blame the population boom for most of our "weather problems".

The climate change alarmism is a load of rubbish. It's Project Fear, climate version, and it's been really ramping up with the other project fears over the last 20 or so years.

It's a warm summer. We aren't having a drought. Water mismanagement is the issue. Never let the water companies (who have all been giving multi-million pound bonuses per person to their chiefs, BTW) get off the hook through blaming Manbearpig (Linky) rather than them spending some of their profits on upgrading our infra.

In the winter, it's the same old story - floods caused by lack of dredging of our waterways - those who should have been managing the dredging turn around and say 'Carbon did it' to absolve themselves of any blame.

Met Office the same - 'Climate' job creation and plenty of chiding of normal people to keep the money rolling in.

It's a warm summer. It happens.

I live in Wales.
There's a strange bright yellow thing in the sky, that sky is also Blue not a dull grey.

Water though..pfft, come September it'll be pi55ing it down as per usual. Where has all the water from the downpours of last year gone? No reservoirs to catch it I preparedness for a hot summer I see.

Mismanagement on a grand scale.

we have several leaks in the local area, all of them were recently fixed and now are pissing water out into the road again. I'm sure there are more we can't see so easily

I live in Wales.
There's a strange bright yellow thing in the sky, that sky is also Blue not a dull grey.

Water though..pfft, come September it'll be pi55ing it down as per usual. Where has all the water from the downpours of last year gone? No reservoirs to catch it I preparedness for a hot summer I see.

Mismanagement on a grand scale.
My point exactly.

13.00hrs .BBC news, rolling news channel. A pre pubescent jug eared pup, Explaining what a drought is. FFS we know what it is, and how its defined. LACK OF WATER & RAIN. and every other word a "Er" his voice procedure is crap. :threaten:

Interview with a face from Yorkshire water, explaining what will be invoked when the bans are ratified. No mention what so ever about fixing the horrendous leaks, that are pissing water away at about 24%:frustrated: